Kien Hoag is part of the very talented team that Oribe that has the talent, skill and speed to keep up with the hustle and bustle of the catwalk. Oribe is a brand that has grown much in only a few years, with its iconic packaging and of course, signature scent.
The busy artist and stylist has three shows under his skillful hands; Men’s David Hart S/S 2017, David Hart X Hart Schaffner Marx (HSM) S/S 2017, and Men’s Private Policy S/S 2017. Follow the steps below to practice and master these fashionable looks!
New York Fashion Week: Men’s David Hart S/S 2017
This year David Hart presented a more youthful take on his usual thematic presentation and tailored clothes. David drew inspiration from the bright palette of the ‘70s and the West Coast surf culture of the ‘60s. Lead hairstylist Kien, who has been working with the designer for seven seasons, kept the hair slightly greasy, for a beachy bedhead. Kien left the diverse cast, featuring afros and long hair, looking like they’ve lived on the beach for a week.
Get the Look:
1. Enhance natural textures with Supershine Light Moisturizing Cream mixed with Gold Lust Nourishing Hair Oil.
2. Use fingers to style natural waves.
3. Spray Dry Texturizing Spray to set the roots
4. Place final touches using Après Beach Wave and Shine Spray to create a lived-in look.
New York Fashion Week: Men’s David Hart X Hart Schaffner Marx (HSM) S/S 2017
In a special David Hart-Hart Schaffner & Marx collaboration, the designer along with the 130-year-old tailored menswear company achieved an aristocratic, polished gentleman’s collection for their spring/summer 2017 presentation. Kien—who envisioned this style worn by the type of man who takes the time to get every hair perfectly in place—styled a pulled-back coif for a seamless pairing with the upscale garments.
Get the Look:
1. Prep with Foundation Mist.
2. Apply Rough Luxury Molding wax and blow dry.
3. Use a flat iron to lightly smooth the hair.
4. Spray Superfine Strong Hair Spray at the root and blow dry, directing back with a comb.
5. Use Rough Luxury Molding Wax and tuck remaining hair behind the ears.
New York Fashion Week: Men’s Private Policy S/S 2017
Radical designer Private Policy pushed boundaries at Men’s Day this year. The collection, inspired by the horrors of slave labor in the Southeast Asia fishing industry, was a myriad of color, texture, pattern and silhouette. Kien fulfilled the brand’s call “for freedom for all” by sculpting a “Rebel Warriors from the Sea” style that mimicked the sharp, pointed scales of a fish.
Get the Look:
1. Begin by applying Volumista Mist for Volume and Surfcomber Tousled Texture Mousse and back comb.
2. Tie off certain sections of hair with electric cord, while folding and combing the rest of the hair back to enhance different grains on top of the head.
3. Use a netting material to smash the texture.
4. Spray Superfine Strong Hair Spray to set the shape.
5. Flatiron, pulling the hair outward, and finish with Star Glow Styling Wax.
Photos: Phoebe Cheong