For SS 2017 Simkhai draws inspiration from the Watts Towers in L.A. – a sculptural steel complex decorated into a spectacular shimmering mosaic. Silhouettes have been deconstructed and then rebuilt to gain a new balance, fusing layers of slashed fabric with ornate embroidery and hand-beadwork.
“This look is all about creating texture that isn’t too polished. We wanted to keep hair down and natural-looking with an element of dry roughness to highlight the collection inspired by the beaches and deserts. The hair wrap adds a modern twist, evoking feelings of a distant pace,” says Thomas Osborn, TIGI US Creative Director, who led the Catwalk by TIGI Team at Jonathan Simkhai SS2017 backstage.
Get the Look!
1. Spray a generous amount of Catwalk by TIGI Texturising Salt Spray throughout dry hair to create a tousled, textured base. Blow-dry hair while combing through with fingers in a backwards and upwards motion.
2. Divide hair at the nape. Wrap large sections of hair around a 1.5″ curling iron without closing the clamp, leave ends out. After each section is released, gently rake through the hair with fingers to loosen the curl, creating an un-done bend. Use a flat iron on random pieces for a “just walked through the desert” look.
3. Braid a small section of hair underneath the left ear and secure with an elastic. Measure a piece of thread that is 3 times the length of the braid. Beginning in the center of the thread at the top of the braid, wrap the thread around the braid in a criss-cross motion. Add in a large bead half-way down the braid by stringing it onto one side of the thread and tying a knot with the other. Finish with a second bead at the end of the braid.
4. Create a second braid underneath with thread without adding beads and a random surface braid loosely through the back on the opposite side.
5. Rub a dime-sized amount of Catwalk by TIGI Hairista cream throughout hands and rake through hair from mid-shaft to ends. Bend strands of hair as necessary to create a rough, messy look.
6. Finish with Catwalk by TIGI Transforming Dry Shampoo & Catwalk by TIGI Work It Hairspray throughout to amplify texture and create grit.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW!
Photos: Alex Barron-Hough