Summer is just around the corner, not to mention the festival season! Weather permitting, we’ll all be heading for the great outdoors. We got in touch with ALTERNA Ambassador and braid specialist, Sabrina Dijkman to get her Summer Hair Styling trend predictions and tips on how we can achieve the looks at home…
There are two Summer Hair Styling options in particular that I think will be huge this season,” says ALTERNA Ambassador, Sabrina Dijkman, They are perfect for the summer – whether you have any special events to attend, festivals or you are heading on holiday. These styles are the volumised, wavy ponytail and the slick back, polished bun. Slicked back and sleek styles have been all over the catwalks recently and this will continue into the summer season where products can help use create these high shine, polished looks.
In summer particularly when we are heading to some of our favourite music festivals or on holiday, we want to get our hair off our face and with that in mind, these styles are perfect. They require little to no heated styling (great in the summer when the sun is already causing damage to our hair and we do not want to cause any further damage), are easy and quick to create and can be finished with hair products to perfect the look and tame any frizz and flyaways. Here’s how I would get the look…
The volumised, wavy ponytail
- Start by parting away a front section of hair and then backcombing the underneath section to add volume. For added volume and height, spritz in some ALTERNA My Hair. My Canvas. Any Way Texture Spray.
- Taking the section you previously sectioned, brush this back over the backcombed section to create a smooth surface.
- Tame any frizz and flyaways to give the style a sleeker finish.
- Next, pull the hair back into a tight ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with a hair tie.
- Using a heated styling iron, wave the ponytail hair in large sections to give movement and each bouncy waves.
- Complete the look with a finishing spray for added shine and to hold the look in place all day and night.
Slick back, polished bun
- Firstly, if you’re at a festival or if your hair is just simply feeling a little oily, apply some My Hair My Canvas. Meltaway No Rinse Micellar Cleanser through your hair to absorb excess oils and give hair a clean, smooth and shiny appearance.
- Next, pull the hair back off the face tightly and secure into a ponytail at the nape of the neck
- Now is the time to create your bun! For a more festival inspired, quirky finish, I like to part the ponytail in two and then secure with a hair tie, stopping about 3 quarters of the way. I then wrap this section across the middle of the bun to create a unique style that almost resembles that of a bow. However, if you’re looking for something more simplistic, simply twist your ponytail hair and secure it into place with hair pins.
- Finish with hairspray to protect against humidity and for shine and hold.