ALTERNA Editorial Director and Creative Brand Ambassador, Joana Neves, gives her top 25 tips to add moisture to hair. She uses her favourite ALTERNA moisturising products.
“ALTERNA Europe is celebrating its 25-year anniversary!” says Joana Neves. “The brand is recognising this by showcasing the diversity of its high performance and results driven Caviar Anti-Aging and My Hair. My Canvas. Ranges. These provide ultra-nourishment and add moisture to the hair, important when the weather starts warming up and hair can become drier and lacking in moisture.”
Joana’s 25 top tips to add moisture to the hair
- Start with the basics – using a good quality, moisturising shampoo! The ALTERNA Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo is a must, helping to nourish the most dry and damaged strands.
- Shampoo can be known to strip the hair of its natural oils and with that in mind, clients should also be informed to not overly wash their hair. If their hair just needs moisture but still looks and feels clean, they should try to wash their hair with just water and then condition and simply cut out the shampoo.
- Instead of using a large amount of shampoo, try to use no more than a 5-10 pence size of the product. This is more than enough to cleanse and add enough moisture to the hair. Always remember, less is more!
- On days where their hair is feeling a little oily, clients should instead try using a dry shampoo like My Hair. My Canvas. Another Day Dry Shampoo to absorb excess oils whilst also adding volume to their hair.
Don’t forget about the scalp! Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp and if the scalp is too oily, this can lead to build up and dandruff and effectively, the hair looking and feeling less moisturised. To keep the scalp clean and balanced, an exfoliating product like My Hair. My Canvas. Exfoliating Cleanser is ideal and is a nice, mild formula that will avoid stripping the hair of colour and moisture.
Remember to condition!
- Follow up your shampoo with a leave in conditioner like the ALTERNA Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Conditioner. Although shampoo will add moisture into the hair, a conditioner is richer and will help to lock in that moisture further. For hair lacking moisture, clients should be using these types of products on their visits to the salon and at home too.
- At home, clients should brush their conditioner through in the shower with a large tooth comb to distribute the product more effectively through their mid-lengths and ends, ensuring all hair is coated and that it gets a good dose of moisture!
- When in the sunshine, clients should use this to their advantage and indulge in a luxurious hair mask, such as the ALTERNA caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Masque. The heat will maximise the products potential and help it penetrate into the hair. Hair should then go into an up do style to let the product work its magic.
- Encourage clients to come into the salon for a hair treatment/mask every couple of months. Although clients may be looking after their hair at home, this will give them a more intensive, professional treatment, whereby the stylist can really work on the hair and scalp and help with the stimulation of the treatment.
- Clients should use a hair mask at home every couple of washes to keep their hair in optimum condition at home and for a more intense treatment, clients should apply their hair mask at night before going to bed, allowing it to penetrate further into the hair as they sleep!
- Using a leave in conditioner or cream! Many clients forget about this step and it’s a great way to add some extra moisture into the hair. Once the client steps out the shower, they can simply spritz or distribute this into damp hair and leave to air dry for a gorgeous natural hair look whilst also giving the hair an extra drink of much needed moisture! Our ALTERNA top picks are the ALTERNA Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Priming Leave In Conditioner and the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture CC Cream.
Take care with heat
- Lay off the heated styling. Clients should be informed that heated styling can cause moisture loss and breakage in the hair. Therefore, going days without using styling tools is a great option to keep hair looking and feeling hydrated. Clients can instead experiment with texturising products like My Hair. My Canvas. Any Way Texture Spray to add texture and body to their hair or can as above, spritz some leave in conditioner through the hair for a soft, natural hair look.
- If a client does need to style their hair at home with heated styling tools or if they’re coming into the salon for styling, using a heat protection spray is a must to avoid damage and to give the hair some added moisture. The Caviar Anti-Aging Bond Repair Leave-in Heat Protection Spray is a favourite of mine, leaving the hair smooth and glossy.
Consider clients colour services at the salon – our job as hairdressers is to ensure the client’s hair looks its best and that the colour is beautiful, as well as healthy. With that in mind, we should chat to our clients about doing in-between colour services. E.g. instead of full head highlights at each appointment, having half head highlights or tzone highlights in between to avoid the hair being pulled of its moisture and to give it a break from excess damage, resulting in it looking and feeling a lot healthier!
Lock in moisture
- In regards to colour, if a client has extremely dry hair that lacks moisture, it’s also beneficial to consider using ammonia-free hair colour which is a lot gentler and less damaging on the hair.
- UV protection! A must for ensuring the hair is not stripped of moisture from the sun, UV protection is a must, particularly if clients are spending a lot of time in the sun. I love applying the Caviar Anti-Aging Color Hold Dual-Use Serum through damp hair and leaving to air dry. The serum wraps around hair strands and gives a lightweight veil of UV protection AND moisture – win win!
Use an oil or serum. Oils and serums are such versatile products and can be used on damp or dry hair to give it added moisture. I love to use the Caviar Anti-Aging Smoothing Anti-Frizz Nourishing Oil on damp hair and then again on dry hair after styling to really finish off the style and allow the hair to look healthy and radiant.
Keep hair trim
- Encourage clients to get regular trims to ensure the hair remains healthy and free from damage and split ends.
- Advise clients to think about over exposure to weather conditions. Extreme weather conditions such as too much sun or wind can lead to the hair becoming dry and brittle and therefore, lacking in moisture. Clients should consider wearing a hat in these conditions to protect their hair from the damage.
- Discuss with your clients the importance of layering products correctly. This is key for ensuring the hair gets all the moisture it needs. Clients should be aware that the correct way to layer products is by after washing with shampoo and conditioner, applying a leave in to damp hair, an oil and then a cream should they wish to use all three products.
- Sleeping on silk or satin. Many clients will not be aware that by sleeping on a pillowcase that’s silk or satin, they will retain moisture in their hair. Due to the materials of the pillowcase, it will not absorb the moisture.
Clients may also want to swap their regular hair ties with silk or satin hair ties. As well as not absorbing moisture like a silk/satin pillowcase, they don’t cause as much friction on their hair and are a lot gentler on the hair. Effectively avoiding split ends and the hair from drying out.
Hydration is key
- Hydrate the hair from within. By drinking more water, it will effectively hydrate the hair from the inside out, leading it to looking and feeling healthier, moisturised and strengthened.
- As the weather starts to get warmer or clients start to head on holiday, they should be informed the advantages of waterproofing their hair. Should they be going in the pool or sea, it’s a good idea to coat their hair with a conditioning cream like the Caviar Anti-Aging Bond Repair Leave-in Protein Cream and then cover with a swim cap.
- Gentle brushing. By brushing the hair harshly, it can cause friction, breakage and make the hair dry. Clients should be extremely gentle when brushing their hair (particularly when it’s wet and more prone to breakage) and should ensure they’re using a good quality brush that works to detangle.