Jim Shaw is owner of TONi&GUY Billericay and an award winning hairdresser. With this Men’s Afro image, it was all about creating a style that was true to both his craft and himself – clean and precise.
Precision for me is about creating looks with strong outlines that keep the hair look fresh and on trend and play a real emphasis on the hair, whilst also complimenting the face and the bone structure of the model or client you’re working on,” explains Jim Shaw. “Precision cuts like in this Men’s Afro look help to create a striking finish and when cropped correctly and tight, it further emphasises the sharpness of the hair. For this look in particular, our model Marvin’s bone structure was as strong as the linear finish we created within his hair; it was exactly what we wanted to create in terms of strength and finish.
Steps for creating the look
- To create this look I started by using clippers to create a fade haircut, leaving length on top but shortening the sides of the hair. Guards helped to gradually fade and blend the hair for a precise and clean finish.
- Once the clippers have done their job in fading the hair, I then like to use them to clean up areas around the neckline and hairline to create more precise, sharp lines.
- I then always like to go in with scissors to get closer to the hair and to clean up the hair look and ensure it looks neat and tidy on top.
- Using the clippers, we took out a chunk of the hair on top and then neatened this up again with scissors. We did this to create more of a unique and statement look that further draw your eyes to the hairstyle.
- To finish, I used American Crew Fibre to keep the shape we created in place and provide the hair with high hold and low shine for a more natural appearance.
See the full collection and credits here