The concept of isolating the entire professional hair industry from its clients for an indeterminate period of time is very hard for us to get our heads around. Here’s how to get the most out of your online communication:
1. Firstly, don’t fall into the lethargy trap: this is the time to maintain a strong presence across your social networks. Not on Instagram yet, what are you waiting for!?
2. Form working groups with colleagues whom you are most in tune with, to exchange ideas, techniques and work on projects for the future.
3. Take a cue from other hairdressers and hair magazines are saying. Check out their initiatives on keeping our industry creatively inspired – the Estetica Instagram covers #HairdressersStayingStrong are a good place to start.
4. Have a clear out: carry out a careful check of all Facebook and Instagram contacts, eliminating outdated or irrelevant ones and inserting new. Create a fan-base which is as relevant as possible to your target audience.
5. Launch challenges with innovative formats that you like and can easily and directly involve your whole community.
6. Accept free advice from your children: they may not be industry professionals, but they are certainly a great resource when it comes to social media. You could even ask them for some advice.
7. If you run a chain of salons, establish daily training, motivation and management appointments through Facebook Live, also on the basis of ideas provided by the members. It’s a great portal through which to reaffirm your role as a charismatic leader.
8. If you have a particularly skilled staff member or contributor on digital, involve him or her in your plan for evolving the next steps in your online development.
9. Remember your website: social networks are more direct and instantaneous, but your website is your online showcase. Take this opportunity to rethink or update it: look for new images and activate new functions. Also have a think about the potential of e-commerce.
10. By yourself you may struggle to achieve that strong and innovative online presence that you desire. Ask an expert and learn how to progress and enhance your communication platforms.
11. And finally… Share! Share! Share! We’ll emerge much stronger from this crisis if we all maintain a state of unity and solidarity.