The concept of isolating the entire professional hair industry from its clients for an indeterminate period of time is very hard for us to get our heads around. Here’s how to transform challenges into opportunities:
1. A WhatsApp Business group is a great vehicle for staying in touch and to notify clients in real time of your re-opening (remember that many will want to book immediately!) It’s also useful for subsequent marketing initiatives.
2. Make sure your channels of communication stay continually open – telephone, messenger or email. This is essential not just for work advice, but to know how they are doing. Customers remember how you made them feel good through taking care of them and the advice & encouragement you give.
3. Review your list of Social Media contacts: if you find that some clients don’t follow your page, invite them to do so. Also, commit to creating captivating and quality content that is of particular interest to your audience.
4. Even the most loyal customers whose return to the salon you might be taking for granted may still be afraid of going out and entering a crowded salon: they will need some extra special attention.
5. Create and send clients video tutorials with your recommendations for DIY fixes. They can even send to an ‘after’ shot for you to verify.
6. The salon re-opening will be a celebration for both you and your clients. Offer them ‘nice price’ or special treatment to celebrate their return to the world of hair and beauty, thanking them for waiting so long for you.
7. Remember the heroes and angels in the health services who have been working flat out in our hospitals. You can pay special homage on social networks to nurses, doctors and care-workers who have been at the forefront of the fight against Coronavirus and who live near your salon.
8. Last but not least: you need to work on your re-opening communications strategy right now. It’ll be too late when the show’s back on the road!