Yesterday at the Dion Lee AW’20 runway show at The Shed, Wella Professionals Global Creative Director of Care & Styling Eugene Souleiman created strong and natural hair looks with delicate braids to complement the designer’s latest collection.
Dion Lee’s AW20 collection uses elements of hardware, so Eugene Souleiman felt it was important to create a hair look that felt strong and natural. “We wanted to do a center part but open up the face. Normally a center part closes the face, but with the element of hair being delicately braided away from the front hairline, it gives the look tension and the linear detail of the braid lifts the face. It’s a contemporary take on minimalism,” says Souleiman.
How to get the look:
1. Begin by creating a center part. Then, create an elongated triangular section taken from the center part to just behind the ear.
2. Next, create a delicate small braid on each side in this section, each braid beginning from the center part, traveling diagonally downwards. It is important that the braid sit directly on top of the section part, and that the hair is drawn upwards away from the hairline towards the braid with tension, to give the face and linear detail. At the end of the section, the braid is continued off the scalp half-way down the length of the hair and tied securely.
3. The hair not contained in braids must be controlled in a way that feels natural. Firmly press a small amount of Wella EIMI Extra Volume mousse onto the top of the head on either side of the part, downwards to the parietal ridge and to the bottom of the crown, being careful not to apply the product too low. Wella EIMI Extra Volume is applied to give hold, direction, and texture.
4. Split the hair into two sections by continuing the center part to the nape. With hands holding the top of the hair flat to the head so as not to disrupt the styling, section the hair at the occipital and create two cornrow braids on either side of center parting. It’s important that the tension of the braid decreases as you move down the head as this will affect the overall texture created from the braids. The ends are left free and Wella EIMI Sugar Lift is sprayed lightly for texture.
5. Place a hair net with tension on the hairline detail and the area covered with Wella EIMI Extra Volume and diffuse until dry.
6. Remove the cornrow braids in the back of the hair to create movement and texture.