The company was present at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas and announced plans to roll out the revolutionary Smart Mirror and Color DJ technologies into salons in 2020!
For the second year in a row, Wella Professionals was present at the prestigious Consumer Electronics Show, showcasing two outstanding new developments in smart salon technology: Smart Mirror and Color DJ.
“Everyone knows that Wella has a very long history of being a full-service brand – so we wanted to be able to reinvent that concept in today’s world, using the power of technology and data. And that’s why we’re here at CES talking about these new tools,” said to Estetica Chris Chesebro, Senior Vice President, Digital Transformation & Ecommerce at Coty Professional Beauty. “We are introducing two premier services. One that would look at a product as a service, Wella presents Color DJ, first launched in 2018: a world’s first in-salon devices giving hairdressers the power to create for their clients ultra-personalized color masks. With over 60 billion color combinations possible, in addition to personalized levels of conditioning properties and fragrance, salon clients walk away with a bespoke, take-home product completely tailored to their needs.”
And on the second side, Wella introduces what they call service as a product, which is the augmented reality Smart Mirror! The award-winning Smart Mirror, developed in partnership with CareOS, enhances the hair color experience from consultation to aftercare with live augmented reality (AR) hair color try on, facial recognition that enables the retrieval of past looks, and 360° video capture to view the hair at every angle.
Both innovations are “technology-enabled services that salons can add to their existing book to draw more people into the salons and which also drive excitement with their existing client base,” says Chesebro. “We have Color DJ in five salons globally, while the Smart Mirror is going to be live very quickly in three salons in Europe. We launched a website called www.wellacontest.com where salons and technology partners can submit their interest in being part of the Wella augmented salon: that site is live now and we’ll be going through February 15th to drive a contest to help us pick our next partners over the next few months!”
So the idea is that technologies such as online booking and salon management solutions will complement the Smart Mirror and Color DJ to allow salon owners to give their clients a 360° digitally enabled experience. Chesebro says, “We don’t want to dictate on every single market exactly what technology is right to manage booking and other such services, because they are different in every country. What we want to do is create a platform that provides Wella credentialization to services in each market. We’ll vet the partners, to make sure that they’re delivering what they need to, and that they live up to the standards of the Wella Professionals brand. We want our tools to be available to as many salons as possible.”
Advancing the careers of hairdressers globally is at the heart of Wella Professionals’ mission to Make Change, and this is firmly evidenced in the brand’s efforts to shape the future of the hair salon experience.
“These innovations speak to our commitment to advance the experience of hairdressers and salon clients. These are not one-off gimmicks they are mainstream changes which will future-proof and help drive growth of the salon professional industry,” said Sylvie Moreau, President, Coty Professional Beauty.
Key features of the Smart Mirror include:
● Live AR hair color try on that allows real-time visualization of color in the mirror during the consultation phase of a client’s salon visit.
● Facial recognition technology that enables the retrieval of past looks and services, helping the stylist to better serve their client with a highly personal experience across several visits.
● Curated feed of content, including trending and classic looks, to allow the client to browse for inspiration.
● 360° video capture of the hair at every angle allowing for a better appreciation of the result, without the need to use another mirror. These images can also be shared on social media.
● Connected mobile application, allowing stylists to stay in touch with their clients in between visits. Clients can also access the platform from anywhere to connect with their stylist, get product recommendations, personalized tips and trends or schedule their next appointment.
● Touchless technology that responds to swipe hand gestures enabling a seamless experience.
Key features of Color DJ include:
● Couture Color: 6 Pure chromatic pigments (green, yellow, orange, red, violet, & magenta) are mixed to create a customized gloss with nearly infinite color possibilities.
● Customized fragrance: 3 enchanting fragrance options can be added: Sicilian Bergamot, Marrakesh Woods, Hawaiian Orchids.
● Customized care: Adjustable moisturizing levels, from 0 to 3 shots, give a smooth hair feel, even for fine hair.
Don’t miss the video below!
For salons and hairdressers interested in becoming a 2020 Wella Augmented Salon pilot partner, applications are open until February 15, 2020: www.wellacontest.com