After 37 years, the creativity and commitment of everyone involved in the Alternative Hair Show continue to be as outstanding as ever, with over £12.5 million so-far raised for the charitable foundation “Fighting Leukaemia”.
When Tony and Maggie Rizzo’s young son Valentino passed away after suffering Leukaemia, Tony decided to put on a charity hair show during the weekend of Salon International. It was to be a one-off event, showing short artistic presentations. The evening was such a success, people demanded he repeat the show the next year and the enduring Alternative Hair Show was born. Over the years the Alternative Hair Show has not only taken place in London but also in across the globe.
This year, the energetic and highly creative shows provided an explosion of color and artistry with each team showing their own interpretation of the theme PARODY.
The participating artistic teams this year were: Sanrizz (UK), Raffel Pages (Spain), Anne Veck (UK), Dmitry Vinokurov (Russia), Klaus Peter Ochs (Germany), Saco (UK), Ken Zhou (China), Mikel Luzea (Spain), Rudy Mostarda (Italy), HOB (UK), Sassoon (UK), Marc Antoni (UK), Laszlo Hajas (Hungary), Carlo Bay (Italy) & TIGI Creative Team (UK).
Adding another £163, 650 to the grand total of over £12.5 million, this year’s fantastic show was held at the ICC, Excel, London in front of an audience of 3,200 visitors and guests. It was an incredible evening with many people in the audience claiming the stage presentations were among the best ever.
- THE ALTERNATIVE HAIR VISIONARY AWARDS
- Sponsored by TIGI, these awards have become an integral part of the event. 15 years ago, when Anthony Mascolo was invited to become President of Alternative Hair he suggested holding an event to show-case unknown creative hairdressers. His idea became the Visionary Awards. Anthony’s philosophy has always been to find and promote new talent. The Visionary Awards provides opportunities for young and unrecognised hairdressers to show their work and gain recognition, with winners being invited to participate in future Alternative Hair Shows.
The Visionary Awards is a photographic competition with live events this year held in Ireland and Taiwan. The finalists of the 3 categories: Cut & Colour, Men’s and Avant-Garde, are, each year, invited to participate in the Visionary Award Show at the Alternative Hair Show. Over the last 15 years the Visionary Awards has grown to become a major part of the evening, this year with finalists from across the UK, Europe, Scandinavia, China, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia, Taiwan and Australia.
- The 2019 winners were:
- Cut and Colour: Eva Stromblad from Sweden
- Men’s: Lo Shih-Chen from Taiwan
- Avant-Garde: Elvin Soh from Malaysia
- AIPP AWARDS
- The event also recognised and honoured the 2019 AIPP Awards Winners, who took to the stage alongside the AIPP-AHS Hair Legend of the Year – an award which for 2019 went to Spanish hairdressing icon, Raffel Pages, founder of the 100-salon empire of the same name, as well as his amazing Museum of Hairdressing in Barcelona.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE
Photos: Alex Barron-Hough