Hair icon Ammon Carver is a prominent industry force and unparalleled beauty expert. In addition to his impressive work behind the chair, his repertoire also includes styling for advertising and fashion campaigns, film, television, and runway shows.
Owner of Ammon Carver Studio in New York City, he’s also the Chief Artistic Director for Ulta Beauty and the Global Creative Director for L’ANZA Healing Haircare. We sat down with Ammon and we’re excited to share our inside personal interview with you! We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
1. What is your favorite thing about this industry?
“Building relationships and friendships with creative people whose predominant focus is just to make people look and feel great. We get to make a difference in the world in a job that is fun and filled with positive energy. How much better does it get?“
2. What celebrity would you love to style and why?
“There are so many!
– Rihanna because she’s daring and pushes the limit with her look regularly.
– Jennifer Lawrence because she is stunning but also just seems like she would be so fun to hang out with.
– J Lo… because, hello IT’S JENNIFER LOPEZ!!!“
3. When was the moment when you thought, hairdressing is going to lead to something?
“I think from the first day of school, I knew it would lead to “something”… the thing is, every year, and every new experience in this industry opens so many different doors… I have no idea what that “something” because it changes and grows all of the time. I’m just along for the ride!“
4 Who’s your hairstyling idol, and why?
“Currently, I won’t lie, Chris Appleton is the REAL DEAL. He’s talented, shares his passion and techniques happily… oh and he styles every celebrity hair icon of our time. My timeless hair idol would without a doubt be Vidal Sassoon… he changed the way people looked and thought about hair. No one has ever done that like he did.“
5. What’s the most paranormal thing that has happened to you?
“To be honest, this is the only question out of the 10 that I literally cannot think of anything. I’m not really sure I have a “paranormal” experience to share. Is that Normal? Haha“
6. Name the biggest styling disaster you’ve had, how’d you recover?
“I once did a fringe haircut on stage in front of a huge audience, and I was so focused on making the fringe a perfectly straight line, that I neglected to notice that all of the tiny hairs I had been cutting were gathering on my model’s beautiful, glossy lips! It literally looked like she had two fuzzy caterpillars on her face. So… my natural reaction was one of panic and I started to wipe the hair off her lips… which only resulted in me smearing the hair and red lip gloss across her face! She walked down the runway with the straightest fringe I have ever cut in my career… and red, hairy smudges all over her cheeks and chin. Epic fail!“
7. When you’re having an off day what do you do to get your head back in the zone?
“Go to the gym! And/or conceptualize a fun shoot… I love to build mood boards on my iPad.“
8. What’s the best two cents someone’s ever given you in the industry?
“Take the stairs, not the elevator. The climb, the work, the struggle… THAT’S WHERE THE VALUE LIVES. Don’t aspire to be an instant star… earn it!“
9. If you could have dinner with 3 people dead or alive who would they be and why?
– “I had two uncles that passed away before I could know them much… from what I have heard about them from my father, we are similar. I wish I could meet them and see those similarities.”
– “Adele. She is incredible, and also every interview I see with her she seems hilarious.“
– “Ellen Degeneres. She seems to be the most positive/fun-loving person who is making a huge difference in the world by the way she shares kindness and laughter.”
10. What signs make you think someone will go on to be successful?
“Humility for sure. Someone who is eager to listen… not always do the talking.“