It’s been the smash hit on the summer beaches of 2019! But forget any dodgy connotations that may come to mind which are reminiscent of Billy Ray Cyrus, Patrick Swayze and Cher, the 2019 mullet couldn’t be more different.
Toni&Guy International Artistic Director and London Hairdresser of the Year, Philipp Haug, says the key is ensuring it’s soft and feminine.
“The key for a modern mullet is that it is wearable, the length from front to back isn’t dramatic and it has plenty of movement and texture which softens the overall length,” he explains. “One of the main differences to historical mullets is that the short front and long lengths through the back are disconnected and dramatic. In the 80s it was super-long through the back and much shorter through the front; today’s mullet is quite similar to the Shag and much more wearable.”
Here are Philipp’s tips for making a modern mullet a must-have for your clients!
1. Ensure the fringe is soft and feminine with plenty of movement through the back.
2. Slightly disconnect through the crown area, but keep the sides connected into the length so it’s soft and graduated.
3. Texture is key to keeping this look modern – if it’s straight it can look harsh and severe.
4. Always make sure short and long lengths are in proportion. This will ensure it looks beautiful and feminine.
5. Key products for a modern mullet are a sea salt spray and label.m Souffle Styling Cream which will add an undone and effortless finish.