In this basket weave braid hairstyle tutorial, Sam Villa shows a very simple pattern that can easily be transformed into many different styles. Just a simple 2 strand twist technique creates a braided pattern that draws a lot of attention to long, medium, and short hair.
The Basics: Take a section, slice into 2, twist away from face, take a section from top surface, drop in between, twist away, continue rhythm and secure end with elastic.
Keep in mind:
– The pattern can be customized to be straight across or diagonal.
– Each row should mirror the sections of the previous row – they don’t need to be exact, but more uniform than relaxed pancaked patterns.
– It’s ideal for one-length hair, if working with layers; the pattern might have to start lower (top of ear to nape area).
– When creating patterns, minimize the time hair is loped through elastics by twisting the elastic multiple times to tighten around hair and just loop through once.
– Once the pattern is created, hair can hang naturally, be folded under or sculpted into an up do or ponytail.
“Basket weaves are all about rhythm, get your rhythm down and your sections will be uniform and your confidence will soar,” adds Villa who continually provides hairdressers with ideas to use behind their chair to grow their business.