In his role as TONI&GUY international artistic director and head of education, Cos Sakkas is a regular at events, shows and seminars around the world, including London Fashion Week. Here, he offers his tips on working with this season’s big on-trend sensation, curly hair.
Curly hair is having a moment… and the right tools and products are essential to ensuring it looks frizz-free, shiny and healthy. Cos Sakkas believes that 2019 is THE year for curls: “Curls create the perfect style for 2019 as they’re all about individuality,” he explains. “If a model comes to a casting with curly hair we’re not going to straighten it. Curls and natural texture looks great on short mullets and curly pixie cuts as well as longer lengths.”
COS ON CURLS:
1. Always use a cutting lotion when cutting the hair. This allows the comb to slide through the hair and not catch on any tangles.
2. Alternatively, apply a cream-based curl product on wet hair which will make cutting easier. This also gives it an opportunity to soak into the hair before styling.
3. When cutting curly hair, use a clean, strong technique through the perimeter, with a texturing technique such as twist-cutting and slice-cutting through the interior to add an imperfection for the texture.
4. Always use a leave-in conditioner on naturally curly hair. It needs as much moisture as it can get as it’s naturally dry.
5. Take random sections and twist the hair throughout to bind it together. Then dry on a low heat and low speed.
6. For added volume top the head upside down; for less volume keep the head upright.
7. Gently massage the root area for volume through the roots, but don’t touch the lengths otherwise it will frizz.
8. Curls look best when they are imperfect, soft and natural.