This season, Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau & Redken Global Color Creative Director Josh Wood capitalized on 60s blowouts and vivid colors for Marc Jacobs’ FW2018 Show. Get the Look & Color Formulas!
“The look for the show has a lot of hats again – about 80% of the girls have hats. Nine models have been cut by me and colored by Josh Wood over the past few days. The haircuts are based on Sassoon haircuts. They have a 60s vibe, with an extreme cut and geometric shapes for each look. The colors are really what make them look new to the eye and gives each look excitement. Marc loved the idea of just a few girls with cut and colors. We’re really lucky that the girls were willing to do it. It’s amazing how color can really bring you to a new kind of style: where it’s applied, how it looks and the colors used really elevate it to a different style. We looked at colors from the 80s that really clashed and made you stand out. I’ve blown out each girl with Redken Satinwear 04 and bending it at the ends so that it feels more ‘done’ and classic in a way. I’ve spritzed each girl with at the end with Redken Shine Flash 02 to keep it shiny and polished. It’s a cool look in a different way, where the hair is really done, like a hairdresser’s worked on it,” says Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau.
GET THE LOOK – THE STYLE:
1. Prep models by washing with Redken Color Extend Bonder Kit to preserve color and strengthen hair.
3. Apply a quarter-sized amount of Redken Satinwear 04 to protect hair from heat and add a glossy shine.
4. Blow dry hair using a boar-bristled brush, curving in at the ends to create a beveled style for a 60s effect.
5. Apply a few spritzes of Redken Shine Flash 02 for added shine and polish.
“After being a colorist for 25 years, I have to say, this is the high point of my career. Starting with the tools: the colors that we used to create all of these. There are so many colors… I’d have to keep you here all week to explain all of the individual colors used for this show. When you have one of the best products in the world, Redken, in the hands of creativity, that’s really where the magic happens. I’ve used Redken Flash Lift to lighten the girls, which you need to do to get that vibrant color. Then I’ve used a combination of Redken City Beats and Redken Color Gels Lacquers to create these final looks. We were working overall with very 60s references, but the colors were very 80s/90s inspired. We wanted the girls to look like they were lit in a nightclub, so there were a lot of neon and strobe lighting in our references. These looks are all about skill, precision and placement. Knowing exactly where to place color to emphasize those haircuts is key for these looks. We worked very closely with Marc on the textures and colors of the fabrics to make sure this all came together. We wanted to see a reflection of the haircolor in the fabric and vice-versa. We’ve created a character for each girl. No two colors are the same. They’re all bold, big and individual statements,” says Redken Global Color Creative Director Josh Wood.
GET THE LOOK – THE GREEN COLOR:
– Apply Redken Color Gels Lacquers 1NW Midnight + 10 VOL Pro-Oxide Cream Developer on Zone 1 and nape area
– On Fringe area and sides of head, apply Redken Flash Lift + 30 VOL Pro-Oxide Cream Developer to Zone 2 with Redken pH Bonder. Processed until pale yellow. Shampoo with Redken Color Extend Magnetics then dry hair up to 80%.
– Blurred the following formulas together:
Formula: 1) Redken City Beats in High Line Green blurred into Formula 2) Redken City Beats in Yellow Cab + a drop of Redken City Beats in Times Square Teal blurred into Formula 3) Redken City Beats in High Line Green + Redken City Beats in Yellow Cab + a drop of Redken City Beats in Brooklyn Blue.
GET THE LOOK – THE BLUE COLOR:
– Color Zone 1 and perimeter of hair with Redken Color Gels Lacquers 1NW Midnight +10 VOL Pro-Oxide Cream Developer.
– On Zone 2 (midshaft of hair) apply Redken Flash Lift + 30 VOL Pro-Oxide Cream Developer + pH Bonder until Pale Yellow. Shampoo with Shampoo with Redken Color Extend Magnetics and dry hair up to 80% dry.
– Applied Redken City Beats in Brooklyn Blue + a drop of Redken City Beats in Broadway Blue to Zone 2 (midshaft of hair).
GET THE LOOK – THE RED COLOR:
– On Zone 1, apply Redken Color Gels Lacquers 1NW Midnight + 10 VOL Pro-Oxide Cream Developer.
– On Zone 2, (midshaft of hair) apply Redken Flash Lift + 30 VOL Pro-Oxide Cream Developer + pH Bonder until Pale Yellow. Shampoo with Shampoo with Redken Color Extend Magnetics and dry hair up to 80% dry.
– To create a red halo, blur the following formulas:
a. To Zone 2 apply Formula 1) Redken City Beats 1 ¾ Big Apple Red + ¼ Redken City Beats in East Village Violet blurred into Zone 2 and then blur
b. Formula 2) Redken City Beats in Big Apple Red towards end of Zone 2.