Many women start to loose hair and experience thinning a couple months after giving birth. It can be very unsettling, but with guidance from a stylist, they can get through it with grace. Andrew Carruthers, Director of Education for Sam Villa, shares tips and tricks to transition guests through the process with confidence.
“Postpartum hair loss is a very common challenge. Many women experience shedding and even significant hair loss along the front hairline (temple/recession areas) and along the part line,” says Carruthers.
How to get them through:
– Advise that it’s a natural process and most women recover normal growth patterns and fullness.
– The front hairline tends to get very thin and when it first grows in it’s short and sticks up, blow drying that area with a Sam Villa Professional Ionic Blow Dryer and the fine teeth of a Sam Villa Signature Series Short Cutting Comb will provide more control than using a brush.
– Very fine, short hairs need to be addressed when they are still wet before they start to dry and stick up.
– If wearing a side part, use a comb to directionally blow dry hair in direction it should fall, the fine teeth provide direction and tension while the spine of the comb smooths.
– When hair is long enough, suggest incorporating fringe into the cut to help hide the shorter pieces.
– For short hair that sticks up in the hairline, spray Redken Control Addict 28 Extra High-Hold Hairspray in the direction of the cuticle (downward) and use a hand, comb or brush to smooth down.
– Short hair doesn’t lie down because it’s not heavy enough; applying a styling product with more weight will help it to lay flatter. Redken Move Ability 05 Lightweight Defining Cream Paste works great for this.
“Communicating these tips and tricks to new mothers is a great way to improve your consultation skills and provide support and solutions to guests,” adds Carruthers.