With weddings, proms and other special events in abundance, spring is the perfect time to learn how to do a new up style. Sam Villa, co-founder of Sam Villa® and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, shows how to create a faux hawk updo by twisting hair to create the illusion of a braid.
Villa says the trick to success is to create a strong foundation and finish with a good hairspray to lock the look in. Follow these tips when braiding, twisting or knotting:
1. Compress the entire head (or random sections) with a Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron to increase thickness. The added dimension creates a strong foundation for the style, which allows for pins to stay secure, and it adds interesting volume and texture.
2. Apply Redken braid aid 03 to help control layers, flyaways and give hands slip and tact for easier braiding, knotting and twisting. Emulsify products on the top and palm of hands and smooth through hair for even distribution.
3. Use a Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush to smooth hair before styling; the bristles are designed to grab hair at the scalp for ultimate polish.
4. Pancake – pancaking braids, knots, twists and buns instantly makes them look bigger and more beautiful. It simply entails gently pulling out sections of the finished design to create more volume and texture. Shoot for imperfection to make a statement.
5. Finish with Redken triple take 32 extreme high-hold hairspray. Now that the work is done, make sure it has long lasting lift and body with 24-hour control and humidity resistance. Hairspray is not an option, it is a necessity!! Try rolling the side of the can over sprayed hair in the direction of the cuticle for a flawless finish!