The road to becoming a better hairdresser is paved with EDUCATION! Sam Villa, co-founder of Sam Villa® and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, believes both live and digital education have extreme value, especially when it’s FREE education online or on YouTube!
Here’s a tutorial on how to twist knots to make an updo that’s edgy, yet easy to do.
• Pre texturize hair with the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron to create more volume for a solid foundation.
• Secure all hair into a high ponytail.
• Divide ponytail into 4 sections (or more/less depending on hair density).
• Take one section and create a knot by holding the hand behind the section with the thumb on top and twist one full rotation – repeat down the section. The more condensed the knot, the smaller it will be.
• Secure ends with an elastic, leaving 1-2 inches out at the ends.
• Place the knot on the head and secure by threading a pin through the elastic on the end and into the elastic holding the ponytail in place.
• Twist and arrange the knot into desired shape and secure with a pin.
• Repeat with each section.
• Before doing the last section, wrap all the ends underneath the knots and secure. Finesse the shape, then twist the last section.
• Finish with Redken quick tease 15 to hold and control flyaways. TIP: Always smooth hair and spray in the direction the hair is styled – if hair is up, smooth upwards.