Celebrity hairstylist Giannandrea created last Sunday’s Karlie Kloss’ soft fresh waves for her Oscars’ Red Carpet glamorous debut. Below are Giannandrea’s how-to tips for recreating the look!
“Karlie came to me inspired that it was her first time on this iconic red carpet. I really wanted to make this look special for her – anything halfway at the Oscars wouldn’t have made sense, it wasn’t the place. We went with soft fresh waves, Old Hollywood, but a little more relaxed and supple,” says Giannandrea.
Get the Look!
– To start, hair was washed with clay shampoo and conditioner. It was important that last rinse of conditioner be done using cold water to close cuticle completely, which maintains subsequent volume.
– Key to the look was volume mousse, which served as the foundation. On towel-dried hair, Giannandrea worked product from root to tip, combing through.
– He next began blow drying the hair slowly on hot and low – using just his fingers so as not to stretch the hair, which minimizes volume. A combination of heat and mousse are enough for long-lasting volume, no brush needed.
– Next, he took a wide tooth and sectioned the hair into a deep side part, and prepped small sections with hairspray.
– Using a 1-inch curling iron, he wrapped hair around the barrel with a little twist of his wrist while doing so to avoid any flatness. He worked the curling iron all the way around the head from top, down.
– To style the front, he picked up a flat iron to create a bend that was in line with the rest of the side curls – the effect of a flat iron vs. curling iron is less “round”.
– Once done, he brushed all the waves out GENTLY so as not to stretch them out.
– Next, he added a bit of dry shampoo for hold and plumpness, especially given the moisture in the air due to weather.
– Last, he softly brushed and added a final lock-in spritz of hairspray for shine.
Photos: Getty Images