Australian Hairdressing Icon Emiliano Vitale (é salon) is comfortable onstage. He has seamlessly drifted from hairdresser, to educator, to salon owner, and back. This expertise and elegance in changing hats within the industry is a skill that is a mystery to most, but not for Emiliano.
He summarized it into bring eight reasons which he decided are the main factors to his success… listen up:
“I often get asked by hairdressers all around the world, young and old, ‘how did I get to where I am and can I give them any advice.’ I even had a training session with my team recently on this and I wanted to share it with everyone else,” says Emiliano.
Become an Industry Maven in 8 Visionary Steps
1. Learn about those that have come before you and built the industry into what it is. It is what they have spent their life committed to that has given us the opportunities that we now have.
2. Learn about what it means to be a hairdresser and the values associated with being part of the hairdressing community.
3. Respect points 1 & 2.
4. Find heroes and mentors and individuals that you admire. Learn everything there is to learn about them. What skills do they have, what principles do they have, and above all, what values they built their career on. Now develop these skills, principles and values into your character and use these characteristics to inspire others.
5. Rely on only yourself. Don’t wait for anyone to give you anything. Be proactive and seek your own opportunities and share them with others. Be grateful and understand that it is a privilege, not a right, to be on stage doing what you love. It is not about you –it is about those individuals who are sitting in the audience– respect them and give them your best. People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
6. Remove two words from your vocabulary –NO and IMPOSSIBLE– they have no purpose and don’t belong in your life.
7. Know exactly what you want and work harder than anyone else, this is the easiest part as 98% of the people don’t have any idea what they want from life, and drift through it aimlessly.
8. DECIDE who you are and who you’re going to be, and start now. When you make that decision, everything is just a matter of time. If you stay true to your values, committed to your principles and defend your truth even if it kills you.