The power of polish is undeniable…even undone styles have to have a certain amount of shine and control in the right areas to look chic. The roots go back to old Hollywood glam, where polish and shine were essential. Jesse Linares, Sam Villa ArTeam member, gives tips on how to achieve the look.
“The Sam Villa Artist Series Polishing Paddle Brush is great for smoothing because the Tourmaline-infused nylon pins help move hair, while soft boar bristles add medium tension which is ideal for controlling root direction and polishing the cuticle in small sections,” explains Linares.
How To: Polish
– Apply a medium-control blow-dry lotion blended with a serum (such as Redken Velvet Gelatine 07 blended with Redken Diamond Oil Glow Dry Style Enhancing Blow-Dry Oil) liberally to damp hair, comb through, and set the parting.
– Starting on the left side in the nape, work from the bottom up in 1” diagonal back sections. Directionally blow-dry with medium pressure, directing the roots down and toward the left with minimal volume. Once above the occipital, continue to work in 1” horizontal sections, using the left ear as a point to direct to. Blow-dry the temple area back over the ear and down toward the nape with minimal volume. Continue to work up until the parting is reached.
– On the right side, start at center back and work vertically toward the right in 1” sections. Directionally blow-dry, directing the roots horizontally with medium pressure toward the left with minimal volume.
– Continue to work into the top and crown in 1” sections. Directionally blow-dry down and toward center back in a curved motion that arcs around the head. Continue to work until the parting is reached.
– Polish the ends and add a soft bend using the Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush.
– To finish, use a flexible high-control hairspray like Redken Triple Take 32 to lock down the shape.
Credits: Hair/Sam Villa ArTeam; Photographer/Mitch Meyer; Makeup/Keri Hatfield; Wardrobe/Carmen Nydegger