NOTHING has to be ordinary these days, including the tried and true ponytail – it’s not just for busy moms and the gym anymore! Meghan Hopkins, Artist with Pureology Serious Colour Care and stylist at Cobalt Blue Salon (Austin, TX) shares how to create a sleek tail that will turn heads and a fun sassy textured version.
“Ponytails get a bad rap, I want to show people that there are so many options out there from smooth and sophisticated to full and textured,” says Hopkins.
How To: Smooth Sophisticated Ponytail
– Apply Pureology Colour Stylist Root Lift to dry hair from roots to ends.
– Blow dry roots and ends back to point where pony will be held.
– Create a middle part, start at front hair line and draw a straight line – only an inch to two inches back, depending on the size of the head.
– Brush all hair back using an updo cushion brush, spraying Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray in the direction of where the base of ponytail will be and continue to brush and form into ponytail – keep repeating till smooth and formed.
– When ready, take an elastic hair tie and place two bobby pins on the elastic. At the top of the base of the pony, place one bobby pin downward into base then wrap elastic around pony until elastic is tight and the other bobby pin reaches the secure bobby pin at the top of pony. Place 2nd bobby pin at top interlocking the two bobby pins for security – this is a great method for securing ponytails that does not disrupt the pony while putting in a tie and risk getting lumps in the hair.
– Take a piece of hair in the pony, long and small enough to wrap around the pony, spray Pureology Colour Stylist Density Definer on piece of hair and wrap around ponytail to hide elastic. Secure and pin under pony within bobby pin to hide.
– To minimize flyaways, spray Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray on a makeup powder brush and lightly brush flyaways into pony to smooth.
How To: Full Textured Ponytail
– Spray Pureology Sea-Kissed Texturizer salt free tousle mist in hair and rough dry for texture.
– Apply Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray on each section before curling and setting back on base curls for optimal volume.
– Take curls out and rake with fingers.
– Lightly lace (tease) at roots all over for more lift and volume.
– Take an inch square of hair in the corner right and tie off with an elastic to form a pony.
– Take the rest of the hair on the right side of the head and twist once lightly around the secured pony and secure under with a bobby pin (use fingers to gather hair for a more organic textured look and feel).
– Gather the left side of hair with fingers, rake over towards secure pony and twist once around and secure under the pony with an elastic.
– Subdivide hair in the pony into 3-5 sections, depending on density, and lightly lace each section to make hair in pony look thicker. Then, with a soft hand smooth out surface of pony.
– Now, subdivide pony into two sections and twist each section to the right and cross over to the left creating a rope like look – continue all the way to the end of pony and secure with an elastic.
– Take pointer finger and thumb and lightly break up pony for a more tousled look.
– Finish with favorite firm hold hairspray.
- Hair: Meghan Hopkins
- Photo: Jesus Beaz
- Makeup: Mary Downs