Alex Dobao is an international beauty business whisperer, holding all the secrets to success from a financial standpoint. Today we get deep into the concept of happiness and how it is an important, if not essential part of being a fruitful salon owner.
“What would you do if you did not become a hairdresser?”
Many years ago I asked myself this question that changed my life, and so, I always ask every one of my clients the same question. It is a key into the future! I think it is very important, and rather essential, to evolve. We have to really know ourself, know what we want, what we desire and the answers always come after a good question. Knowing what to ask and how, it is the key.
Sometimes we undertake paths in life without knowing why or without remembering, and after certain time, we forget why we even chose to make that decision. This generates a current that drags us and it’s easy to get carried away, but in the end, you end up losing control.
Is beneficial to “check yourself” from time to time to make sure we are doing what we want and makes us happy. In my professional consulting and advice, I much use what I call “key question,” which helps me better meet my client, their desires, motivations and what’s best, it helps the client help himself, which is the main idea. But let’s focus this golden question to a professional hairdressing salon owner:
“What would you do if you did not have a hairdressing salon?”
The answers are varied and are sometimes surprising. Some people respond quickly, others need more time, some even need more than a day. I know it may sound banal, but it is actually a very profound concept and internalizes in the depths of your mind and your heart.
It is surprising to hear answers like:
– “The truth is I do not know very well… actually I never wanted to be a hairdresser.“
– “I had no choice, I inherited the family salon.“
– “I thought it would be a good choice to be my own boss, but now I realize that I do not like it and I’m not happy.“
Suddenly, their answer changes the expression on their face – as if reflecting on his own notes, and their gaze is different. I always say that if it doesn’t make you happy, you must change it. The idea of assessing yourself is scary, but is it not scarier to live a life that is not the one you want? It is at that moment when the change begins, and I accompany them on their journey.
Fortunately, there are many professionals who have a clear answer and are enjoying it.
– “Always it was clear, I wanted to be my own boss and open a salon that reflects my concept of this business.”
– “I love hair and the entrepreneurial side motivates me and I love it.“
– “I do not see myself doing anything else – you know, answering this question made me realize how happy and lucky I am.“
Here is the up side, where we can focus on improving results and maintain that happiness of enjoying your business and your life. Making it grow into a more happy and profitable part of the life you want and deserve.
1. What would you do if you did not have a hairdressing salon?
2. Are you really happy with your work?
3. Is your life as you had planned it to be in the past?
4. Do you see yourself in 10 years doing the same thing and living the same way?
Like Walt Disney said: “Ask yourself if what you’re doing today will guide you to what you want to be tomorrow.”
Reflect and do not be afraid to change and get going to build the life you want, the life you deserve. There is nothing worse than living unmotivated and doing something you do not like or in a way that does not make you happy.
I wish you infinite luck and success!
- ALEX DOBAO
Business Promoter & Consultant