As the official hair care sponsor for the 2016 Miss USA Pageant, Farouk Systems Artist, Nik Martel was responsible for creating Deshauna Barber’s crowning look. To achieve her look, Nik Martel shares her step by steps, tips and products used.
BioSilk Natural Hold Hair Spray
CHI Royal Treatment Pearl Complex
CHI Royal Treatment Rapid Shine
Step by step:
Preparation: First take a few drops of a CHI Royal Treatment Pearl Complex and evenly distribute it throughout the whole head lightly with hands and a CHI Paddle Brush. This adds moisture and shine as well as heat protection to the hair before styling.
Tip: When working in an air conditioned arena combined with a dry desert climate such as Las Vegas, moisture is key to tame fly-a-ways and static electricity. These can be your worst enemy with HD television.
1. Section hair into four sections (sides, top and back) and secure with clips.
2. Starting in the back nape area, take a 1 1/4-inch sub-section and spray both sides with BioSilk Natural Hold Hairspray. This is going to keep your set smooth, bouncy and under control while adding extra moisture and heat protection.
3. Using the Dura CHI 1 1/4″ Marcel Curling Iron roll your first sub-section at the bottom of the nape upwards clip into place.
4. Using the same sub-sectioning technique, Dura CHI Curling Iron and BioSilk Natural Hold Hair Spray, curl the next subsection downward and clip. Keep working up to the crown in this manner rotating the direction for each sub-section.
5. On the sides, use the same technique as at the nape. The first sub-section at the bottom of the sides will be upward while the remaining will be curled downward.
6. The top section will be curled and pinned horizontally back and clip.
7. Let hair cool to room temperature before removing pins. In this case, Deshauna needed to return to rehearsals which allowed the hair to cool and set for additional time. This is always ideal to secure a stronger curl.
8. After removing clips, spray the hair lightly with CHI Royal Treatment Rapid Shine. Use an oval small style CHI Paddle Brush to gently brush out curls and start forming into place.
9. To finish, spray one last time with BioSilk Natural Hold Hair Spray. This will lock in the moisture and shine while letting the hair still flow with a natural bounce.
About NIK MARTEL – FAROUK SYSTEMS:
Nik has worked in the beauty industry for over 20 years with a passion for color. She has worked as a color technical manager and regional trainer for one the biggest chain salons in the industry. She is currently works in a salon and is a member of Farouk Systems Educational Team for 8 years as well as a CAT member. Nik loves to share her passion for hair at classes and hair shows demonstrating her cutting, coloring, styling and style finishing.