From Instagram comes another talented hairstylist to share secrets to a fabulous look that inspired us! Janine Ker from Salon Aguayo in Pasadena, California executes a flawless platinum look –lacking any yellow tones– cut into a flirtatious bob!
Read on to learn about her inspiration and process!
“I am really inspired by the fundamentals of grunge fashion these days, especially when it comes to hair. For this look, I tried to merge the sophistication of getting a clean meticulous bleach up at a salon, with the rawness of a blunt bob and tousled styling.” Janine describes this particular client as a “dream” for bleaching hair due to her hair being a “perfect virgin level 8 with minimal warmth, fine hair, with good density.”
1. I sectioned her head into 4 quadrants, for control, and began my own version of the Paul Mitchell “Platinum Card Technique” (placing the ENTIRE head in back to back foils, pulling them down eventually to expose the root, apply on the root and process the root to finish at the same time as the hair in the foils).
2. Starting off in the back sections (I like to start in the back so I can rinse as I go, if needed), alternating from left to right (to keep lift balance) I placed thin horizontal slices into back to back foils with L’Oréal Professionnel “Infinie Platine” Lightener with 30 vol (off the scalp ratio).
- a) In this case, her hair lifted easily and so I had to “multi-task” my processing by slightly pulling down the foils that were done, and applying my on the scalp ratio (20 vol) to the first foils I put in, as I completed the front. Eventually, I did this to the entire head, processing at room temperature, no heat.
3. When it was time to rinse the entire head, I created a bleach wash by adding shampoo and let that sit for 5 minutes, mainly on the ends, to ensure their brightness. After rinsing that out and shampooing, I used Kérastase Resistance Concentre Vita-Cement (an intensive reconstructive treatment for weak or damaged hair), processed and rinsed.
4. My client wanted a Blunt Bob, so I gave her that by securing a standard bob perimeter and then going through the entire haircut again and slightly texturizing the ends. I applied Redken Full Frame 07 mousse at the roots and used Kérastase Ciment Thermique (leave in conditioner/heat protectant) to her mid strand and ends. I then rough dried the entire head to 100% dryness, before using a 1″ wand, on low, to create bent curls. I used Kérastase Spray Porter (sea salt spray) to set them before using a warm blow dryer to blend the set together.
For more hair magic, follow Janine on Instagram!
By Chelsea Cook