The reality is, most people blow dry their hair – whether it’s to look like a bombshell or to enhance natural texture using a diffuser, heat is applied to most people’s hair on a regular basis, so it needs to be protected.
Sam Villa, Founding Partner of Sam Villa, Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue, and Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Overall Educator of the Year 2015, says product is not a choice, it’s a necessity to protect hair and demonstrates how to apply products before blow drying. “It’s not only important to use heat protectant products, but there is an optimal way to apply the products to enhance protection and styling benefits,” says Villa.
Using Sam Villa Dry Sectioning Clips to section hair while applying product in tiers results in the product layering together to achieve maximum results. Primers like Redken pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream reduce drying time, protect from heat up to 450 degrees, reduce breakage and provide 24-hour lasting volume without weighing hair down. Styling product of choice is determined by the amount of control or hold factor desired. Villa chose Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion to reduce friction and breakage (also protects from heat up to 450 degrees). It’s layered for a fast easy blow out with silky smooth results.
- • Slice a casual section at the nape area just below the occipital and secure with a dry sectioning clip – no need to be precise.
- • Dispense Redken pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream into hands and emulsify as if applying lotion, so product is in-between fingers and on the back of hands.
- • Approach the nape section by folding hands into the section ensuring to make contact with the hair in-between fingers.
- • Move to the area above the occipital and divide into two sections, applying product to the lower top section first.
- • Dispense Redken satinwear 02 into hands and emulsify as if applying lotion, distributing product in-between fingers and on the back of hands.
- • Approach the nape and top sections together to layer Redken satinwear 02 with pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream.
“Without protection, heat from blow dryers and irons would wreak havoc on hair resulting in depleted moisture, proteins and breakage… thanks to today’s technology, we not only have products that provide heat protection, but other added benefits such as smoother finishes and faster drying times too,” adds Villa.