Meet the darker side of Vivids! Pravana, a leader in creative color, introduces its newest addition to the bestselling ChromaSilk Vivids line: Vivids Black.
Deepen, darken or dim any Vivids shade with this all-new Vivids Black additive. Vivids Black is a must-have for every stylist to explore even greater opportunities for customization. Adding Vivids Black to more vibrant shades creates deeper, richer, jewel-tones and when added to pastels, the colors morph into smoky, antique shades. The realm of possibilities just got a little deeper.
How to use: Start with the Vivids shades that you wish to deepen. Add Vivids Black in small amounts and mix well until you’ve reached your desired depth of tone. As with all Vivids shades, it is a direct, semi-permanent hair color that you apply to clean, dry, pre-lightened hair and process for 20-30 minutes at room temperature.
Vivids Black will be available in October at beauty supply stores nationwide.
Vadre Grigsby, Pravana‘s Artistic Color Director, created the above look by adding Vivids Black to her formulas. She said, “with the new Pravana Vivids Black, I was able to create multiple shades of smoky grays and crisp carbons, deep shadowy violets and muted lavenders. Each of the shades has a new depth that wasn’t attainable before Vivids Black. Even just a few drops of Black into an existing formula creates a new deeper, darker version of it. It’s like finding the edgy side of your formula.”
Grigsby shares the following formulas and technique to recreate the look:
- 1. Pre-lighten the hair to a level 10 using Pure Light Power Lightener and choice of developer.
- 2. Shampoo, condition and dry the hair completely.
- 3. Mix the following formulas:
- a. Formula 1: 56g PASTELS Pretty in Pink + 16g VIVIDS Magenta + 72g VIVIDS Silver + 30g VIVIDS Black
- b. Formula 2: 100g PASTELS Pretty in Pink + 1g VIVIDS Violet + 3g VIVIDS Black
- c. Formula 3: 20g PASTELS Blissful Blue + 28g PASTEL Luscious Lavender + 16g PASTEL Pretty in Pink
- + 4 drops of VIVIDS Black + 2 drops VIVIDS Violet
- d. Formula 4: 60g PASTELS Luscious Lavender + 8g VIVIDS Pink + 4 drops VIVIDS Violet + 2g VIVIDS Black
- e. Formula 5: 100g PASTELS Luscious Lavender + 5g VIVIDS Black
- f. Formula 6: PASTELS Luscious Lavender
- 4. Starting in the back, part out a triangular section from the bottom of the ears to the occipital bone. Apply Formula 1 to this section from roots to ends.
- 5. Moving up the head, take another section about 2” wide following the previous triangular parting. Apply Formula 2 to this section from roots to ends.
- 6. Continue working up the head in this way, creating 2” wide sections following the previous triangular parting and rotating off the ears like the hands of a clock. Apply the remaining formulas in consecutive order, finishing with Formula 6 at the front hairline.
- 7. Process at room temperature 20-30 minutes.
- 8. Shampoo, condition, and protect with VIVIDS Color Protect after care products. Style as desired.
- Photo Credits
Model: Kyla Morency @kylameow
Colorist: Vadre Grigsby @vadre
Photo: Gary Lyons @garylyonsfoto
Wardrobe: Caisa Airmet @caisadilla
Makeup: Irene Seferian @somecallmekiki