To modernize a classic look, Redken Global Creative Director Guido sculpted a chic, shiny chignon for Balenciaga’s Fall/Winter 2015 runway show in Paris.
Molding the chignon at the crown of the head with Redken’s Guts 10 volumizing spray-foam mousse and Forceful 23 super strength hairspray, Guido elongated the neck to create and elegant, beautiful silhouette. To add a futuristic feeling, Guido finished the look with an additional mist of Forceful 23 and Redken’s Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist for a lacquer-like effect.
“At Balenciaga, I created this very chic, sculpted chignon on the top of the crown that really accentuates the long neck and gives you a beautiful, elegant silhouette. It’s kind of futuristic feeling in the way it’s molded to the head, but it’s still very polished and stylized, which makes the style look very new to the eye again. I used Redken’s Guts 10 to blow dry the hair straight, pulled it up into a high ponytail right on the crown and then molded it into a flat chignon with Redken’s Forceful 23 hairspray. I left out two pieces of hair on either side of the head to create the illusion of little sideburns. Though the shape is based on something classic, the shiny, lacquer-like finish gives it a new, modern feeling,” says Guido, Redken Global Creative Director.
Create the Look:
- ● Spray Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry express primer all over damp hair and comb through.
- ● Apply a quarter-size amount of Redken Guts 10 volumizing spray-foam mousse to damp hair, working into the hair from roots to ends.
- ● Blow dry hair straight using a flat brush.
- ● Gather hair into a high ponytail, leaving two small pieces out on each side, and secure with an elastic at the crown of the head.
- ● Twist ponytail into a wide, flat chignon that’s molded to the head, and secure with U-shaped pins.
- ● Thoroughly spray Redken Forceful 23 super strength hairspray and Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist for a lacquer-like finish.
- ● Flatiron the two small pieces of hair on each side of the head to create the illusion of sideburns.
Photos: Getty Images / Lucas Flores Piran for Redken