Inspired by Ida Sitwell and other grand ladies from the 40’s and 70’s, Redken Global Creative Director Guido achieved a chic and sculptured style for the runway at Marc Jacobs’ Fall/Winter 2015 show.
To create the defined shape, Guido used Redken’s Guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam to get a clean, sleek blow dry before pulling the hair up into a tight top knot at the front of the head. To modernize the look, Guido left the ends of the top knot sticking out, sculpting them into the perfect shape with Redken’s Control Addict 28 high control hairspray.
“This season, the Marc Jacobs woman is very chic, uptown and pulled together. Marc felt that he wanted to see something that was much more considered – not an easy, breezy look. The hair is slightly 40’s and 70’s, with inspiration from grand ladies and chic women like Lady Ida Sitwell, whose looks were very thought about and pulled together – there’s no accident in their beauty. It’s really a very simple knot at the top of the head, but the key is the sculpture of the head shape, which elongates and accentuates the neck very much like a swan. I used Redken’s Guts 10 as my foundation product, which I applied throughout the hair and then blow dried the opposite direction, from the base of the head up, getting it super clean. The ponytail is right in the front of the head, and I created a simple knot with the ends sticking out, using Redken’s Control Addict 28 to get that piece that sticks which adds the modernity that’s needed to really perfect this look,” says Guido, Redken Global Creative Director.
Create the Look:
- 1. Work a quarter-size amount of Redken Guts 10 root target volume spray foam into damp hair.
- 2. Blow dry hair straight from the base of the head upward.
- 3. Gather hair into a high ponytail at the front of the forehead and secure with an elastic.
- 4. Take a small section of hair from the ponytail and wrap around the elastic band so it doesn’t show.
- 5. Twist the ponytail into a tight chignon and pin with open fasteners, leaving the ends exposed.
- 6. Spray Redken Control Addict 28 high control hairspray all over, focusing on the ends of the chignon that are sticking out to hold the shape.
Photos by Getty Images / Lucas Flores Piran for Redken