Ready for a cool new braiding technique that takes only 5 minutes and makes a major statement? Sam Villa, Founding Partner of Sam Villa and Redken Education Artistic Director, calls it the Pull Back Ladder Braid.
Hot Tip: Before braiding, Scrimp hair to alter the texture 3X and prevent braids from slipping!
- – Section hair and spray with Redken Iron Shape 11 finishing thermal spray to protect hair from heat.
- – Randomly tap down the section with a Sam Villa Texturizing Iron – using light to medium compression.
- – Repeat until entire head is texturized.
- – Braid as usual.
- – Finish with Redken Control Addict 28 high control hairspray.
HOW-TO: Pull Back Ladder Braid
- 1. Take a slice of hair at the center section and a slice of hair right above the ear on the left and right side of the head and pull them back so all three strands meet in the center back of the head.
2. Start a normal three-strand braid; left over right, right over left. Repeat two times.
3. Begin to add hair to sections – take a slice of hair just below the first section and above the ear and add it to the center section.
4. Add a section of hair from the opposite side, adding hair while braiding.
5. Continue to braid and add hair to the center section from each side until braid reaches the middle of the neck.
6. Take the rest of the hair in hands and create a normal three-strand braid until the ends and secure with a clear hair elastic.