Estetica was behind the scenes of the Osklen NYFW show with our friend Antoinette Beenders, Senior Vice President of Creative and Global Creative Director of Aveda… Learn how to create the style!
Antoinette is a true visionary with a passion for creating arresting visuals and unique style. We had the chance to talk with Antoinette about the hair look she created for the runway. Designer Oskar Mestavaht based the Spring/Summer 2015 Osklen collection on Inhotim, Brazil’s esteemed outdoor contemporary art museum that marries nature and beauty, resulting in a texturized collection complete with inspiring colors derived from vegetable-based dyes and intricately woven textiles.
Antoinette Beenders mastered an organic hairstyle that spoke to Mestavaht’s vision while incorporating Osklen’s flower necklaces constructed from materials used throughout his collection. “The hair, like the collection, is based on art, the human body, and nature, which really speaks to the heart of Aveda,” Beenders said. “The style is very soft, natural, and billowy in the front, designed to flutter as the girls walk the runway; the back is the bit of excitement with a bump of volume that reflects the more modern aesthetic of contemporary art and architecture.”
“This is my second show I’m doing with Oskar. He’s just teamed up with a new museum it’s in Sao Paulo, and he’s just in an art exhibition there, it’s just launched. It’s all inspired by that. He’s also a physician so he keeps saying it’s inspired by art, nature, and the human body. So he wants things to move. We have this girl with a big giant sheet and he’s projected nature on to it. It’s very cool. He’s the perfect match for Aveda, because he’s so into nature,” said Antoinette to Estetica.
How to Get the Look
- Step 1: Starting with clean hair, mist hair from roots to ends with Pure Abundance™ Style Prep™ for volume and grip. Once spritzed, blow dry the hair straight.
- Step 2: Create a strong center part and then section the hair in thirds, clipping the front sections forward to focus on the back. Lightly mist the back section with Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.
- Step 3: Taking a thin layer of the back section, clamp a one inch section of hair, just at the nape of the neck, with a crimping iron. Repeat this action on two more layers in the same area to create a textured section of volume. Tease the crimped section with a comb for more bulk.
- Step 4: Letting two front sections of the hair hang loose, drape the remaining sections loosely over the textured bump to hide the teased area, creating a sculptured effect; secure with an elastic band for a loose ponytail.
- Step 5: Place the Osklen flower necklace accessory around the back of the neck over hair. Tease the ponytail gently for added texture. Set with Control Force™ Firm Hold Hair Spray.
Photos: Aveda/Getty Images