Growing up with New York City as her playground, Naeemah LaFond is one of the industry’s most sought-after editorial stylists and educators.
Estetica had the pleasure of hanging backstage at the Azede Jean-Pierre show with Naeemah, who is the Artistic Director for Amika. She shared with us her inspiration and exactly how to replicate her one of a kind enchanted look.
“Azede presented us with two inspirational images, pretty much showing us the feel she was going for, more the feel of the show. It was very much like mother nature, enchanted forest kind of look. I did a mid level chignon that had a lot of texture to it, so that we could really play up the mother nature kind of feel,” explains Naeemah.
“We have a lot of pieces hanging out from the front and very non intentional, like she just woke up and we kept it very twiggy and with a lot of fly aways so that it was more forest like. We didn’t want the fly aways to look airy, like an angel, but more like mother nature and peering out of a garden. We used a lot of our Haut Mess Texture Gel to really add all of that texture into the hair. We used a flat iron to create some very non intentional loose waves, nothing perfect. We finished it off with this white paint spray for the hair, to really add a pop. The white paint spray really plays up the fly aways and the hair really comes to life.”
How-To Get The Look:
- 1. Prep the hair by applying mousse from roots to the ends, and then rough-dry with the Amika Power Cloud Repair + Smooth Dryer to create texture and hold.
2. Part hair from eat to ear, and secure with a sectioning clip.
3. Pull out shorter pieces in the front of the head by rubbing your palms along the hairline. Pieces from the hairline should not pass the collarbone.
4. Curl both sections using the Amika Digital Titanium Glide Styler, alternate directions as you curl and add texture with the Amika Haute Mess Texture Gel.
5. With the top section of the hair, backcomb the crown about an inch at the root.
6. Create a ponytail combining all hair, leveled at the mid-back of the head. Add texture with the Amika Haute Mess Texture Gel.
7. Next, create a tight bun with the loose hair by wrapping and twisting the hair around the base of the ponytail in one complete 360. Pin the hair with a large bobby pin. Wrap the remainder of the hair in the opposite direction against the bun and secure with a small bobby pin.
8. Spray the hair with Amika Touchable Hairspray. To finish the style, mist the full look with white hair paint spray in sweeping motions for an airy feel.
Photos: Getty Images/Estetica