DKNY SS’15 show in New York transported us all back to the hip-hop urban culture of the 80’s and 90’s! Wella Professionals Creative Director Eugene Souleiman created an amazing hair look inspired by NYC mix of urban cultures… learn how to recreate it!
The look at the DKNY S/S ’15 show in New York saw the brand revisiting its 90’s roots, with a take on the diverse New York urban youth culture of that time. The models, a mix of street casting and regular models were hand- picked for a diverse cast of characters that reflected the vibrant melting pot that is New York.
The hair look, created by Eugene Souleiman, Creative Director, Wella Professionals took inspiration from iconic urban hair looks; the gelled wave, the zig zag parting, braids and a ponytail to create a ‘hot in the city’ graphic look reminiscent of the hip hop culture of the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. “I wanted to create a look that reflected the different New York mix of urban cultures, celebrated racial diversity, and had a slightly ‘old school’ feel to it. I wanted something strong that had a definite point of view,” added Eugene.
Get the Look:
- 1. Wash and condition hair using Wella Professionals Brilliance Shampoo and Conditioner to preserve the brilliant shade and shine of color-treated hair.
- 2. Apply a quarter size amount of Wella Professionals Velvet Amplifier on to the hair, focussing at the roots then blow dry pulling hair straight and flat to the head.
- 3. Once hair is dry, section off the back of the hair through the crown from ear to ear and tie the back in to a low pony tail. Spray the top of the head with Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray to keep the hair perfectly flat and in place.*
- 4. Using a fin tail comb, create a zig zag parting in the centre of the top section of hair. Then tease out some wisps of hair at the front of the hairline.
- 5. Using a soft bristle brush take each side section of hair and gently pull down and back to secure in the pony tail, spray with Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray as you go to ensure that the hair is perfectly flat and there are no flyaways.
- 6. Spray the ponytail with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz to give a more matte textured effect to the ponytail.
- 7. Using a tint brush apply Wella Professionals Sculpt Force Gel to the roots of each wisp of hair, then work the gel through the length of the hair with your fingers. Sculpt the hair in to a wave across the forehead. Repeat this with each wisp.
- 8. Using a diffuser, dry the gelled pieces of hair in place, then finally finish off with a spritz of Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray.
*At the show, Eugene created two variations on this look, one with a single pony tail and one with two braids
Hair Styling by: Eugene Souleiman, Wella Professionals Global Creative Director of Care & Styling
· Wella Professionals Brilliance Shampoo and Conditioner
· Wella Professionals Velvet Amplifier
· Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray
· Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz
· Wella Professionals Sculpt Force Gel