Perry Ellis introduced the Spring/Summer 2015 Collection presented by CHI Hair Care. This years’ themed collection according to the company’s Creative Director, Michael Maccari is an Active Wear Trend that has active silhouettes with active wear fabrics.
This collection inspired lead hairstylist Rutger to create the “Done/Undone” look to convey a 50’s guy with a cool, sporty and active attitude. To create this easy going yet raw look, hair was neatly groomed around the edges with square tapered sides and messy tops. Rutger used a T-Shirt bandana tied down across the head to keep hair down and away from the face until show time to achieve the disheveled top.
The “Inspiration” from Rutger for CHI Hair Care
“My inspiration was to create a 50’s guy with a cool, sporty and active attitude. This “Done/Undone” look gives men today that edgy raw look combined with well-groomed lines.”
Fall Hair Trends for Men by Rutger:
“The hair is clean shaved on the sides and back with longer tops for movement and definition to create character. The top hair will also be slightly choppy with a 50’s sporty look.”
Rutger Professional Tip:
“If a stylist wants to do Fashion Week or editorial work, they must first move to New York. Here is where you can learn the business from the inside-out. Next, you need to collaborate and assist those top hairstylists so you can learn everything, the tricks of the trade and start to meet the right people. This way you can start building your portfolio.”
Get the Look:
On dry hair; start by trimming the sides into a more tapered finish leaving length in the crown area. The cut is keyHe used a DUR CHI Professional Clipper to achieve precision results.
- 1. After the hair was trimmed, he applied CHI Matt Wax through the hair for a “very light” look. To create lift and bend to the ends, Rutger used his fingers to separate and define the natural wave or curl in the hair while blwoing the hair with the DURA CHI Professional Dryer. To keep the tapered sides in place, he used the left over product on his hands to sleek down the sides and edges.
- Rutger: “CHI products are definitely my favorite! They are easy to apply, give shine to the hair and give men that style definition.”
- 2. Next, he wrapped a T-shirt bandana down across the head to keep hair down and away from the face. The lightness of the T-shirt material allows the scalp and hair to breathe while not being too heavy or completely weighing the hair down.
- Rutger Tip: “The T-shirt bandana allows you to create the rawness I was looking for. Your fingers serve as great styling tools to not only lift, bend and define but to help maintain the desired texture.”
- 3. Prior to show time, Rutger removed the T-Shirt bandana.
- 4. To finish, he applied CHI 44 Style and Stay for hold and fingered through the hair and refreshed the hair with the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Hairstyling Iron to create extra shape.
Photos: Getty Images