Paul Mitchell’s Annual Event celebrates Peace, Love and Happiness in Las Vegas, with original music, unforgettable performances and creative cut, color and styling techniques.
More than 3,000 hairstylists and salon owners from over 24 countries attended this year’s Gathering on August 4 and 5 at the Aria Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Inspired by lyrics from the Beatles, Paul Mitchell’s intensive two‐day education event celebrated the theme of “rEvolution” with live music, brilliant choreography, whimsical wardrobe, incredible acrobatics and several surprises in between.
The opening show on Monday, August 4th kicked off with a fun music video featuring co-founder John Paul DeJoria and his wife and longtime John Paul Mitchell Systems® spokesmodel, Eloise DeJoria, riding a motorcycle and lip‐syncing to an original song written and directed by Wes Hirni. DeJoria then emerged on stage to welcome audience members and live stream viewers, introduce his family and partners, and announce John Paul Mitchell Systems’ latest accomplishments, highlighting the importance of evolution: a revamped Paul Mitchell® website, a new Live Beautifully campaign, the launch of Ultimate Color Repair™ quinoa color-locking system, and a sneak preview to introduce the new MarulaOil brand, debuting early 2015.
On day one, a number of on‐stage presentations exquisitely brought every John Paul Mitchell Systems brand to life:
• A group of children danced to a rainforest audio‐visual display before handing out small trees to various audience members. This segment spotlighted the eco‐conscious Tea Tree line and its Green Takeover mission—a new initiative of the brand in partnership with Reforest’Action, an environmental organization that plants trees worldwide. Tea Tree’s Green Takeover has committed to plant 500,000 trees by 2016, sequestering over 85,000 tons of CO2 during the trees’ lifetime.
• Global artistic director Robert Cromeans introduced the launch of Ultimate Color Repair—a quinoa color‐locking system that includes a sulfate-‐free shampoo, UV-protective conditioner and dual‐phase thermal protection spray for color‐treated hair. A group of sultry redheads then took to the stage to perform cabaret‐inspired choreography.
• A catwalk of models dressed in black and silver gowns performed a native Hawaiian hula dance to illustrate the unique benefits of Awapuhi Wild Ginger®.
• Co‐owner and artistic director of education Angus Mitchell presented MITCH® with a barbershop trio to serenade viewers while hairdressers trimmed and styled five male models.
• Olympic athlete Chaz Guldemond and US Halfpipe Team member Tucker Perkins skied and snowboarded across the stage before an all-male hip‐hop dance crew took over.
• Robert Cromeans and vice president of marketing Jason Yates introduced new tools from Paul Mitchell Pro Tools™—Express Ion Smooth®+, Express Ion Dry®+ and Express Ion Unclipped 3‐in‐1—before dancers performed.
• Inspired by the art of transformation, the new Origami Collection was demonstrated by Stephanie Kocielski, Angus Mitchell, Robert Cromeans, Lucie Doughty, Takashi Kitamura, Linda Yodice, Alessandro Iannaccone, Julian Perlingiero and Noogie Thai with models dressed in colorful geometric designs along with origami‐inspired costumes.
• The surprise debut of MarulaOil was magnified by models dressed in sleek metallics. Due to launch in January 2015, the line includes two treatment oils plus a shampoo, conditioner and masque that soften, repair and hydrate hair.
In between the Grand Opening and Grand Finale, 16 hands-on workshops covering color, cuts, styles and business were led in specially designed classrooms, each featuring a unique theme. Superstar stylists and speakers included Paul Mitchell editorial director Lucie Doughty, Paul Mitchell Professional Color artistic directors Scott Cole and Linda Yodice, vice president of education Stephanie Kocielski, industry icon Takashi, and so many more world-reknown artists and educators.
Throughout the classes, parties and presentations, attendees and viewers at home were encouraged to join the online conversation using hashtag #PMGathering. Instagram pictures and a live stream of the event were also featured on www.pmgathering.com
The closing show on Tuesday, August 5 commenced with Robert Cromeans flying in by way of wires and balloons before handing over the spotlight to John Paul DeJoria and Angus Mitchell. Both co‐owners reminded viewers of the Hawaii Seminar in January 2015. They then made way for a radical color demonstration led by the entire team of stylists.
Paul Mitchell Schools made their grand entrance with a bold runway show that melded athletics and street style. Sporting colorful locks, neon tube socks and football pads, dozens of Future Professionals walked the stage for an electrifying segment with a spirited, youthful vibe. Lastly, to conclude the show, Angus Mitchell led a dramatic cut and color demonstration to wrap up the two-day event.
To view live stream footage from The Gathering 2014, please visit www.pmgathering.com
To view Instagram photos from The Gathering 2014, please search hashtag #PMGathering