11th Annual FUNraising Gala Features Magic Johnson, Fran Drescher, Danny Trejo, Marie Osmond, Sara Rue, John Paul DeJoria, Ricky & Andrea Schroder, Jo Anne Worley & Kathy Buckley.
After three months and literally thousands of hair shows, casual days, cut-a-thons, and “FUNraisers,” more than 13,000 cosmetology students from 110 Paul Mitchell Schools raised over $2.1 million for 11 selected charities, bringing their 11-year total to more than $13.3 million. This year’s total was announced at the annual FUNraising Gala, held at the Beverly Hilton and hosted by actor, producer, cancer activist Fran Drescher and Paul Mitchell Schools’ Dean and Cofounder Winn Claybaugh.
Speaking on behalf of the 11 supported charities were Magic Johnson (Magic Johnson Foundation), John Paul DeJoria (Food 4 Africa), Danny Trejo (ELSA), Ricky and Andrea Schroder (Wells of Hope), Marie Osmond (Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals), Sara Rue (CAST), Kathy Buckley (No Limits), and Fran Drescher (Cancer Schmancer).
Winners of the annual “First 100” contest were recognized for raising at least $3,000 individually; these 100 hard-working students and staff members attended the Gala plus a hands-on training the following day with 5-time NAHA winner Vivienne Mackinder and Cao Cosmetics.
“It is not the kindness of our hearts that provides the support that our charity partners require; it is dollars,” Winn said. “I am so proud of our Paul Mitchell Future Professionals for walking the walk, doing the heavy lifting, and doing more than just hoping for the best for those in need.”
2014 Top 10 FUNraising Schools
- 1. Paul Mitchell The School St. Louis // $84,184
2. Paul Mitchell The School Jacksonville // $64,229
3. Paul Mitchell The School Michigan // $62,379
4. Paul Mitchell The School Chicago // $53,205
5. Paul Mitchell The School San Diego // $52,088
6. Paul Mitchell The School Dallas // $52,013
7. Paul Mitchell The School Arlington // $51,823
8. Paul Mitchell The School Salt Lake City // $50,680
9. Parisian Beauty Academy, A Paul Mitchell Partner School // $47,809
10. Paul Mitchell The School North Haven // $46,619
2014 “Where the Money Goes”
- Andrew Gomez Dream Foundation // $1,055,000
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals // $150,000
No Limits // $150,000
Cancer Schmancer // $150,000
Gary Sinise Foundation // $130,000
Magic Johnson Foundation // $150,000
Morris Animal Foundation // $100,000
Food 4 Africa // $100,000
CAST // $50,000
Wells of Hope // $50,000
Franciscan Haircuts from the Heart // $35,000
ELSA // $25,000