Orlando Pita, lead stylist for BioSilk at the Carolina Herrera NYFW Fall/Winter 2014 show, created a look that was reminiscent of the classic 60′s beehive – but with a whimsical play on proportions!
The result was a streamlined, impeccably balanced, and sculptural up-do that is pristine, polished, and purely divine. “The hair takes the shape of the fez-like hats that are in Carolina’s collection. I started thinking of an up-do that would fit right under the hat, but I wanted to make it more streamlined and not so beehive-ish – as this kind of shape could look retro so I wanted to make it sharper and more modern,” said Orlando.
Orlando decided to take a modern technical approach and build each up-do off of foam stuffing and an extension ponytail to get the bulk and height that this look requires. Orlando first prepped each model’s hair with the BioSilk Silk Therapy to smooth everything out and get rid of flyways before adding the foam stuffing and ponytail extensions. He started by putting each models’ hair up in a knot right at the crown of the head and then placing foam stuffing around it to create bulk.
Following the shape created by the foam stuffing an extension ponytail was then twisted and pinned into place to create florets all around the up-do. Once the ponytail extension was pinned into the correct place, each up-do was finished by wrapping the ends of each pony tail section around the base of the completed style. To lock everything in place and take care of any last minute flyways the BioSilk team then finished with the BioSilk Firm Hold Finishing Spray.
Orlando explained that a lot of the models didn’t need too much spray since the BioSilk Silk Therapy did such an excellent job of smoothing everything out from the beginning.
Albert Luis, part of Orlando’s team for this show, shares how-to get this look:
- 1. Apply dime size amount of BioSilk Silk Therapy from roots to ends. Brush all of hair up, back and towards the crown into a high ponytail. Using BioSilk Natural Hold Finishing Spray create smoothness and shine.
2. Twist the tail ends tightly until it coils onto itself. Pin the ends at the base of the ponytail and take a 72” long hair weft matching model’s hair and precut into three even sections. Hair length should be at least 22” long. Secure each section flat and close to the base of the twisted ponytail. When looking down at ponytail pin at 4:00, 8:00 and 12:00.
3. Unroll large donut hair filler and use it lengthwise to wrap around the base and stem of the ponytail to form a thicker and wider base. It is very important to wrap it tightly. Secure it with bobby pins.
4. Begin with the section of extensions at 4:00. Smooth over hair filler as you move clockwise up and around, and use remaining hair in twist form to decorate the top and complement the original ponytail twist. Using BioSilk Strong Hold Finishing Spray, pin to secure placements of twist.
5. Do the same with 8:00 making sure the majority, if not all, of filler is covered at this point.
6. Use 12:00 section to wrap in a horizontal manner around entire style to give a fashion feel of a Fez Hat. Finish with BioSilk Strong Hold Finishing Spray.