It’s the transition from summer into winter, cooler temperatures, crisp air, beautiful foliage, night becomes noticeably earlier – and most exciting… Fall/Winter fashion & beauty!
Hairstylists across the globe collaborated with designers to create the ideal style to compliment their Fall/Winter Collections. Jenny Balding, NYC Fashion Week & Cutler/Redken Stylist, shares her favorite Fall styles inspired by the runways:
Polished yet slightly disheveled look as seen at Gucci, Rodarte & Proenza Schouler
This look was seen on quite a few runways for Fall 2014 – all with a deep side part adding to the polished feel. This look is one of my fall favorites as you can loosely tuck hair into the collar of a lightweight coat, which you’ll likely start wearing at this time.
- • Create a deep side part on whichever side suits your face shape best.
• With a smoothing product for your hair type (I like one with a natural finish), blow-dry hair smooth, especially through the roots through to mid length. Let the ends be imperfect.
• Finish by misting Redken Fashion Work 12 versatile hairspray over your hair. Shake through the mid-length to the ends to keep hair slightly disheveled. Keep the part and the top area smooth.
Sleek, center part, low ponytail as seen at Derek Lamb & Balmain
Another one of my fall favorites, this look is very sleek & clean with a center part as seen from the front but the interest was how the ponytail was finished – either very sleek seen at Balmain or slightly voluminous texture at Derek Lamb which complimented each collection beautifully. The low ponytail compliments high collared shirts and more structured styles for the season.
- • Create a very clean center part.
• Blow-dry hair very smooth and straight using a smoothing/straightening lotion, like Redken Align 12 protective smoothing lotion. Apply when damp and blow dry.
• Sweep into low ponytail at the nape, making sure the part and the sides are perfectly in place.
• If you’d like to create the slightly textured ponytail, use a Mason Pearson type brush, slightly back brush hair from the underneath to create a voluminous effect.
• If you want to keep smooth and sleek, use a straightening iron over the ponytail for this finish.
• Finish by misting Redken Shine Flash 02 glistening mist for ultimate shine.
Photos: Imaxtree.com/Vincenzo Grillo