Since 2000, The STARS and RISING Stars Photo Competition, sponsored by Cosmetologists Chicago (CC), has been enthusiastically embraced by established salon professionals as well as those just entering our exciting industry.
This popular contest proves the creativity, talent, technical expertise and competitive spirit of the hundreds who choose to enter and display a glimpse of their work.
The winners of the STARS Photo Competitions were announced during the BeautyBASH at America’s Beauty Show, on March 22, 2014, at McCormick Place in downtown Chicago, and each received $500. The RISING Stars winner was announced during the Beauty Changes Lives presentation, during the America’s Beauty Show Student Conference on Sunday, March 23, 2014.
The STARS and RISING STARS Photo Competitions are judged on technical merit, execution and suitability of the styles of each category, as well as concept and overall approach.
The 2014 STARS Winners ARE…
- • ColorAmerica – Colorist of the Year – Daniel Rubin, Dennis Bartolomei Salon, Chicago, IL
- • Day to Night – Danielle Keasling, Salon Karma, Bluffton, SC
- • Makeover Expert – Katie Baxter, Ladies and Gentlemen Salon and Spa, Mentor, OH
- • Hair Fashion Visionary – Avant Garde – Jennifer Bean, Orbit Salon, Chicago, IL
- • International Nail Technician of the Year – Hillary Fry, Scenario Hair Design, Shorewood, WI
- • Men’s Look Champion – Kerra Coticchia, Ladies and Gentlemen, Chicago, IL
- • Texture Champion – Laurentius Purnama, Laurentius Salon, Philadelphia, PA
- • RISING Star of ABS 2014 (Student Category) – Katie Pickens and Cici Wright, Brown Aveda Institute, Rocky River, OH
The Leo Passage Gold Trophy
Paying homage to the late Leo Passage, the third annual “Leo Passage Gold Trophy” was awarded to Chrystofer Benson, J Christopher Salon, New York, NY – the highest cumulative point-winner in Cosmetologists Chicago’s STARS Photo Competition. His name will be engraved on the Leo Passage Gold Trophy, which is on permanent display in Pivot Point’s world headquarters and Academy campus in Evanston, IL. Chrystofer received a replica of the permanent trophy and cash awards of $1,000.
The STARS Photo Competitions encourage talent and creativity among hair stylists, nail technicians, make-up artists and students in technical execution, fashion awareness and photo expertise. Entries are artistic yet “real” and show salon creativity by requiring both before and after photos of a model and/or client.
Save the date! America’s Beauty Show will be held March 21-23, 2015, at McCormick Place in Chicago.