Recognized for his exceptional hairdressing and presentation skills, Carlos Cintron is among the world’s foremost hair stylists.
He rose to prominence at the beginning of the millennium by becoming the 2002-2003 Hairdresser of the Year at the world renowned Toni&Guy. In 2011 Carlos won the Texture Category at the North American Hairstyling Awards and was Finalist for Hairstylist of the Year. We’re excited to share our inside personal interview with Carlos to all of our readers! We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
1. What do you think 2014 has in store for you? “Lots of expectations! We launched our brand Keratage Age-defying Professional Hair Care at Cosmoprof North America 2013, and we’re about to launch a new line of styling treatments. We have created a brand that we feel will revolutionize hair care and with that comes expectations.”
2. What current trend do you love and hate, and why? “I love effortless, sexy, and healthy hair. I get inspired by fashion week and the runway was full of different variations of this look. How many women have we seen with the Ombre hair trend? I am not a fan of this trend because it’s no longer original. Ladies – it’s time to jump off the bandwagon!”
3. What’s something most people don’t expect from you? “Humility. When you’re an accomplished hairdresser most people expect a huge ego. I never forget the sacrifices and the people who helped me better my career, and I believe in paying it forward.”
4. What moment has been the most rewarding in your career? “When I started working at Toni&Guy and was told that I’d be assisting the late Guy Mascolo. That moment changed my life and career. I was able to learn how to be professional, humble, and creative from one the most talented hairdressers of our generation. Priceless!“
5. What’s your greatest strength? “My greatest strength is definitely my ability to communicate. It has helped me convey my ideas and inspire others in very positive ways.”
6. What have you done to not get lost in the crowd? “I’ve entered and judged NAHA the last 3 years. In 2011, I won the Texture Category and was nominated for Hairstylist of The Year. That has allowed me to keep my name and work alive.”
7. Who was the person who most influenced you, and how? “My mother! She’s a hairdresser herself, and has been for 50 years. She motivated me to follow in her footsteps and encouraged me to set goals, continue my education, reach for the top, and never give up regardless of how challenging things might get.”
8. If you could have dinner with 3 people dead or alive who would they be and why?
• Vidal Sassoon. I would love to listen to his story in person and get inspired by his passion and wisdom.
• Nelson Mandela. He was a man who went through so much adversity, humiliation, and torture, but still managed to forgive and love. It would have been an honor to be in his presence and thank him for being and example of courage, hope, peace, and perseverance.
• Guy Mascolo. To thank him for molding me into the professional hairdresser I am today.
9. Who’s work in the industry leaves you in awe? “Hairdresser: Angelo Seminara, I often scratch my head and wonder: “How did he create that texture!” Session Stylist: Guido Palau, His ability to continuously develop new trends inspires me year after year.”
10. What celebrity would you love to style and why? “Gwen Stefani for sure! She’s always been cutting edge, from her hair, clothing line, to her music videos, and many fashion forward women look up to her style.”