Air, Fire, Water, Earth and Love are the five elements in the cult classic sci-fi film ‘The Fifth Element’, which starred Milla Jovovich, and the latest collection from Joico Guest Artist, Chad Demchuk, is inspired by all of them.
With fashion styling by Keith Bryce emulating Jean Paul Gaultier’s original film costume design, Chad’s models represent each of the film’s elements including the most important – Love. The entire process –indeed Chad’s entire career, which includes the distinction of North American Hairstylist Awards, Hair Colorist of the Year 2012– is propelled by love! From masculine and edgy to pixie and demure, this collection stylishly embodies a sense of effortless power, and grace with a twist. Joico products also fuel Chad’s imagination. Here are some insights into how Chad achieved each look, using Joico styling products and haircolor!
Water—A Surfer Dude Cut Meets The Cool Hues of the Sea
- Cut & Style: The cut is a long, layered, squared-off shape, very masculine and versatile. To achieve the finished look, Chad instructed the model to flip his head over, then Chad sprayed the lengths with Joico I.C.E. Spiker Blast. “He lifted his head up slowly and that was the shape!”, laughs Chad.
- Natural Level: 8
- Prelighten: Joico VeroLight Lightening Powder + 10-Volume Veroxide
- Base Formula: Joico Vero K-PAK Color CCV Violet Corrector + 10-Volume Veroxide
- Accent 1: Joico Color Intensity 7/8 oz. Clear + 1/8 oz. Indigo
- Accent 2: Joico Vero K-PAK Color ¾ oz. TSB Silver Blonde + ¼ oz. INB Royal Blue Intensifier + 1 oz. 10-Volume Veroxide
- Accent 3: Joico Vero K-PAK Color ½ oz. INS Silver Intensifier + ½ oz. Age Defy Clear + 10-Volume Veroxide
Earth—A Tree-Inspired Shape and Earthy Red Color
- Cut & Style: Long hair takes on an edge thanks to a closely-cropped undercut. After fine-tuning the crop, Chad created three horizontal lines within the crop to “ground” the shape. The lengths were shaped with a medium vertical layer cut. To create the “blooming,” erratic texture, Chad applied Joico VeroLight Lightening Powder Rescue Treatment to damp hair before blow drying. Once strands were dry, he misted with Joico Smooth Cure Thermal Protectant and used a micro-crimping iron to crimp the lengths. He gathered the back into a French twist, backcombed the top, misted the hair with Spiker Blast and molded the final shape with his hands.
Natural Level: 5
Prelighten: Joico VeroLight Lightening Powder + 20-Volume Veroxide
Scalp to midlengths: Joico Vero K-PAK Color 2 oz. 4RV Red Claret + 1 inch ribbon 1N Black + 10-Volume Veroxide
Ombré ends #1: Joico Vero K-PAK Color ¾ oz. 5XR Crimson + ¼ oz. 7XR Scarlet + 10-Volume Veroxide
Ombré ends #2 (alternate ombré formulas 1 and 2): Joico Vero K-PAK Color 1 oz. 7FOR Copper Flame + 1 oz. 10-Volume Veroxide
Wind—Uplifting and Sassy
- Cut & Styles: The temple area of this round, pixie cut was etched with a trimmer to pull focus to the model’s beautiful eyes. To create the soft finish, Chad applied Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil to damp hair and wrap-dried strands with a Denman-style brush. For the textured option, he applied Joico Matte Grip Texture Grip Creme roots to ends, followed by Joico Texture Boost Dry Wax Spray through the hair lengths and finishing with Joico K-PAK Protective Hairspray to lock in the shape.
Existing Level: 4 with Level 9 highlights
Prelighten (back to back slices throughout the top): Joico VeroLight Lightening Powder + 20-Volume Veroxide
Base: Joico Vero K-PAK Color 2 oz. RM5 Burmese Ruby + 1 inch ribbon V4 Passion Fruit + 2 oz. 10-volume Veroxide
Accent 1: Joico Color Intensity ½ oz. Clear + ½ oz. Cobalt Blue
Accent 2: Joico Color Intensity Indigo
Accent 3: Joico Vero K-PAK Chrome 1 oz. RO Really Orange + 2 oz. Vero K-PAK Chrome Activator
Accent 4: Joico Vero K-PAK Chrome 1 oz. RRV Really Red Violet + 2 oz. Vero K-PAK Chrome Activator
- Cut & Style: A modern, asymmetric bob is invigorated with a strong fringe and heavy point-cutting for texture. To style, Chad applied a cocktail of Joico Body Luxe Volumizing Elixir and Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair and dried with a round brush, encouraging lift and volume and layering the hair with additional Joico Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax as he worked. Once hair was dry, he tipped the head forward, applied Joico I.C.E. Spiker Blast and scrunched the hair with his hands.
Natural Level: 8
Prelighten (back to back foil slices): VeroLight Lightening Powder + 10-Volume Veroxide
Base: Joico Vero K-PAK Chrome ½ RC6 Copper Mind + ½ RC8 Orange Crush
Accent 1: Joico Vero K-PAK Chrome ½ oz. G9 Spun Gold + ¼ oz. RC8 Orange Crush
Accent 2: Joico Color Intensity 7/8 Clear + 1/8 Pink
Accent 3: Joico Vero K-PAK Color 7FOR Copper Flame + 10-Volume Veroxide
Accent 4: Joico Color Intensity ½ Clear + ½ Pink
Love—Chad “Hearts” Hair
- This frothy, buoyant declaration of love was created by misting pre-colored synthetic hair with Joico I.C.E. Spiker Blast, and placing the hair into a hair net to create the desired, heart shape. Chad then placed the shape onto the model’s head, snipped off the net, attached the pink “ribbons” with pins and locked in the look with more Spiker Blast.
Hair cut, color and style: Chad Demchuk, assisted by Lynda Ross
Photography: Keith Bryce
Make up: Alexis Ellen
Styling: Keith Bryce