Just one of the many initiatives by Wella, the salon professional division of P&G, to pay it forward by awarding 200 scholarships over the next five years.
The Beauty Changes Lives Foundation have announced the names of the 10 emerging talents and 10 licensed beauty professionals who won the Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship. This is just one of the many initiatives by Wella, the salon professional division of P&G, to fund 200 scholarships between 2013 and 2017, as part of their commitment to education and paying it forward. Wella’s Hairdressers at Heart program has established a $1.5 million scholarship grant, administered by the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation, to pay homage to the late Vidal Sassoon and his belief in continual learning throughout the professional hairstylist’s career.
The application for this competition is very original and inspiring in and of itself, as each applicant is required to submit a video or essay that addresses how he or she will change lives through the art of hairstyling. In this way, participants are spurred to did and delve into their creative capacities through mediums that are not hair and using tools that are not shears, brushes, or blowdryers. The results are often remarkably artistic and always original and inspiring, as we are emotionally drawn into the world of each individual to share his or her dream of being a hairdresser that can make a difference. Indeed, so inspiring are many of the entries that they sometimes go viral on YouTube or other hairdressing forums, like Shannel Mariano’s spiffy upbeat entry posted on her hairbrained page (http://www.hairbrained.me/video/video/listForContributor?screenName=1oxeq5w8y652i)
“Vidal elevated the perception of hairdressing as a career, while his commitment to creativity, craftsmanship and professional drive challenged those in the industry to continually learn and enhance their craft”, said Reuben Carranza, CEO of Wella North America. “The scholarship applications submitted in this competition shared many inspiring testimonies of how Vidal’s work continues to inspire individuals a half-century after he revolutionized the industry”.
The basic scholarships are awarded to individuals seeking a career in hairstyling and cover 50 percent of tuition at a qualified cosmetology school, up to $10,000. The advanced scholarships, awarded to licensed hairstylists, cover a five-day course at one of the North America-based Sassoon Academies, plus travel and accommodations up to $5,000 USD.
Lynelle Lynch, president of the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation said the scholarship program is allowing individuals to change their lives and the lives of those they serve. “Every day in beauty schools around the nation, we hear students talk about their career dreams and how they will help others look and feel their best”, Lynch said. “Changing lives through beauty is what this scholarship is all about”.
Here is the list of winners of the Fall 2013 Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship Program and the schools they will be attending:
- Gabrielle Cusmir, Everett, WA, Northwest Hair Academy;
- Nina Edmisten, Boone, NC, Paul Mitchell the School;
- Danielle Feica, Bronx, NY, Arrojo Cosmetology School;
- Ashley Good, Tyrone, PA, Arrojo Cosmetology School;
- Anthony Johnson, Evanston, IL, Pivot Point Academy;
- Kelsey Knutson, Puyallup, WA, Salon Professional Academy;
- Tia Marosy, Brooklyn, NY, Aveda Institute New York;
- Vickie Price, Mount Vernon, WA, Northwest Hair Academy;
- Larissa Rodney, Brooklyn, NY, Arrojo Cosmetology School;
- Autumn White, Victorville, CA, Marinello School of Beauty.
Advanced winners of the Fall 2013 Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship Program and their salons are as follows:
- Katy Clements, Honolulu, HI, Hoala Salon and Spa;
- Leonor Del Castillo, Jersey City, NJ, Allesandro Mangerini Salon;
- Olivia Herrera, Uniondale, NY, Safie Salon and Day Spa;
- Le Lu, Palo Alto, CA, Edge Hair Salon;
- Mashalimar Mariano, Phoenix, AZ, Atmosphere Salon;
- Alison Mermel, Seattle, WA, Idol Style Studio;
- J. Audrey Nelson, Denver, CO, J. Audrey Hair Studio;
- Natalie Schulz, Harrisburg, OR, London Hair Studio – River Valley Center;
- Lily Shevchenko, San Diego, CA, Rx Hair;
- Eric Wright, Phoenix, AZ, Mane Attraction Salon.