For the Houghton Spring 2014 collection, New York based designer Katharine Polk drew inspiration once again from her namesake, Katharine Houghton Hepburn.
For the Houghton Spring 2014 collection, Katharine Polk envisioned a spring getaway to Miami, where the chunky basket weave of chaise lounges meets the dreamy pastels of beachy sunsets. Polk evokes the artistry of airy beach furniture and softness of sunlight into feminine pieces like organza skirts and woven sleeveless silk tunics.
“The pieces have a light air to them, like palm fronds shifting in the warm breeze,” said Polk. And the hairstyle succeeded in capturing this poetic theme with simple shabby-chic braids of both classic and fishtail variations. “It’s fresh and simple– the hair needed to move with the clothes and feel roughed-up and beachy,” said L’Oréal Professionnel Artist Laura Polko.!
GET THE LOOK
– To create the braids, on damp hair, Polk applied a cocktail of L’Oréal Professionnel Mousse Volupté and L’Oréal Professionnel Volumetry Root Spray from roots to ends.
– Hair was then rough dried with a blow dryer for volume and texture at the crown.
– After center parting strands and applying L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip all over hair to provide weightless volume and grip, a low ponytail was secured with an elastic at the nape of the neck.
– After teasing hair with fingers at the crown, each ponytail was styled into a classic or fishtail braid.
– To finish, Polko pulled out pieces from the braids gently to create a roughed-up, lived-in feel.
– For a final touch the braids were finished off with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 3 Hairspray