Since the hairstyle reflects a strong silhouette, he adapted the look to be a more womanly, high-fashion and feminine take on the sumo wrestler style. Estetica was backstage with Orlando Pita, and he shared with us his inspiration for the Carolina Herrera show: “It’s a simple graphic sumo knot, but it’s very difficult to do, it’s very sculptural and needs a lot of hairspray. We used the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron to make it really slick and like a ribbon.”
How many times have you worked with Carolina Herrera? “I’ve been working with her for a long time, 10 or 15 years. We come from the same culture. We’re both Latinos, and I think that from the minute we met each other we really got each other. I know she likes elegant things and when things look polished. She’s not one to do undone, with that, we always communicate a lot before the show – the more information I have the better I can deliver.”
Orlando Pita’s Professional Stylist Tip: "This is a style that is highly recommended for professionals only to execute on clients for special events. It is something they cannot do at home. The look also provides you to create variations making it look unique or to fit the clients’ personality.”
Get The Look!
1. Apply a generous amount of BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray to a brush and the hair and use it to sculpt the hair into a sleek ponytail with a large CHI Turbo Nylon Brush that is placed 2 inches below the crown area. Secure the ponytail with a band.
Orlando Pita: "If the models hair had texture or curl, I blow dried it straight first with the CHI TOUCH Touchscreen Blow Dryer."
2. Run the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron through the length of the ponytail so it is sleek and smooth.
3. Spray a generous amount of BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray onto the length of the ponytail and while damp take a tail comb and the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron to gently fold the ponytail in half to form an off-center looped bun shape while bringing the remaining hair down the center to form a tail and secure with an elastic band.
Orlando Pita Tip: “The tail comb and BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray are essential to shape, mold and bend the hair into a loop. This is the most intricate part of the style. The ideal component of the BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray is that it gives hold while still letting the hair to remain flexible.”
4. To create the ultra-sleek tail and add length to it, use an extension sprayed with BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray and straightened with the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron. Cut the ends on a sharp angle and attach under the loop blending it over the existing tail and secure with pins.
5. Take a separate piece of extension about 2-3” in width spray it with BioSilk Firm Hold Hairspray and straighten with the CHI G2 Ceramic & Titanium Digital Hairstyling Iron to form a ribbon-like piece. Wrap around the elastic band to hide it.
6. Apply BioSilk Shine On Spray to complete the look.
Photos: Getty Images/Estetica